Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600

/ Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600 #1  

ENC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4600
In my owners manual it says that at 150 hours I am supposed to clean the fuel filter assembly. It doesn't really go into detail so I have a few questions.
1. Would it be a good idea to just change the filter or is that a waste of $$? I fuel up with 5 gallon cans of relatively fresh fuel but sometimes I have noticed dirt in the bottom of the can.

2. What do they mean by cleaning it? Just wipe out any sediment? Wash the filter somehow?

3. I have a fuel shutoff on the assembly, if I use the shutoff and refill the assembly when I reinstall it, will I need to prime the system?

4. What should I fill it with diesel or power service?

5. Is there anything I should have on hand that might not be obvious before I start? Like an o-ring or seal from the dealer or ???

/ Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600 #2  
I'd replace it, they are cheap enough.

/ Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600 #3  
Replace it..... the answers to all your other questions are in your manual.

/ Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600 #4  
They recommend that the fuel filter on my B3030 and its housing be cleaned with kerosene at 100 and 200 hours, then replaced at 300 hours. I cleaned it at the 100 and 200 marks. However, it was shabby looking, so I decided to replace it at 200 hours. Here on out, I'm cleaning at 100 and replacing at 200 hours. Mine has 2 O-rings in the housing. They don't include these rings when you buy a new filter. So I would recommend that you have a back-up set on hand. Ice cream happens.

Attachments

• Pheasant EM.JPG
    Pheasant EM.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 185
   / Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600 #5  
Easier to change filter than clean it. I'd say change the orings every 5-10 years, I just changed a set that were 18 years old and they looked fine.

I'd start using a filtering funnel, it will save you lots of fuel headaches in the long run. I use Mr Funnel, it also filters water, which is really a killer if you have freezing temps there. You probably don't need any additive in your climate, although the weather has gotten so weird there's no telling what it will be like. Don't know if your model needs priming, mine doesn't. You'd have to check the manual.

/ Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600 #6  
On mine I do the following...
-shut off the fuel
-unscrew the bowl and empty and remove the filter element
- replace element with new one (as indicated by others, it's inexpensive)
-reinstall the bowl but don't tighten all the way
-turn on fuel flow and allow the bowl to fill and then when fuel starts to leak (because you didn't fully tighten the bowl)
complete tightening the bowl....this allows all the air to be purged.
-start the tractor as normal.....never had an issue starting.

On the one occasion that I did not have a replacement element on hand, I washed the element in kerosene.

That is my method.

/ Cleaning fuel filter assembly on L4600
Thank you all I will post back if anything goes haywire on me.