Confused about oil change

/ Confused about oil change #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
My tractor (2012 B3200 HSD) is two years old so it's off warranty (as of two weeks ago). I changed the oil on it last year when I hit 12 months, even though I only had 20 hours on it. Yeah.....I know, I don't use the tractor enough!

Rather than use a Kubota filter I wanted to upgrade to a better filter as I only change the oil once a year. This year I've got 32 hours on the meter.....yeah I know, I don't use the tractor enough!

The filter that the Kubota dealer sold me last year for the tractor is part # HH16032093. I don't know if it's the same filter that came from the factory or not but it's what the dealer sold me and it's the one listed on Kubota's website for the tractor. I know Wix makes NAPA's filters and they're really good. I found the NAPA Gold filter that fits the tractor (# FIL1344).

I ran a cross reference with the Kubota part # on the Mobil 1 site (I like Mobil 1 products) and found that they list the M1-104 model filter as the replacement filter. I use Mobil 1 filters on my truck and I like them. When I changed the oil today I swapped out the dino oil for Rotella T6 synthetic. I only use synthetic in my truck and ATV and I've had really good luck with it. The only thing that confused me, and trust me...confusing me is not too hard to do, was that the Mobil 1 filter was smaller (shorter) than the Kubota filter. The diameter of the filter is the same, the gasket and the threaded lug looked exactly the same, it was just that the filter was shorter overall. It fit fine and after filling up the oil I ran the tractor to check for leaks. No leaks and everything seems to run fine. Mobil 1 lists the filter as an extended performance filter and uses synthetic fibers as a filter medium rather than cellulose. Is that why the filter is smaller?

Is anyone else using the M1-104 on their tractor that lists the HH16032093? Did I screw up by using the Mobil 1 filter? I don't have any projects planned for a couple weeks so worst case scenario is that I swap out the filter before I use the tractor. The upside of the M1 filter is that they are made in the USA. The Kubota OEM filter was made in Taiwan...or was it Thailand.....someplace other than here.

/ Confused about oil change #2  
Are Kubota filters that expensive? Save a lot of headaches wondering and just get the Kubota filter. Why take the chance that the operation of it and the quality of it is up to Kubota specs. .

/ Confused about oil change #3  
Personally, I have never really worried or even cared about the oil filter other than to use a name brand quality. Changing it regularly on schedule is far more important than what brand you use IMO.

/ Confused about oil change #4  
Are Kubota filters that expensive? Save a lot of headaches wondering and just get the Kubota filter. Why take the chance that the operation of it and the quality of it is up to Kubota specs. .
Exactly... and how do you know that you 'upgraded'???

/ Confused about oil change
Exactly... and how do you know that you 'upgraded'???

Made in USA vs made in SE Asia. Synthetic medium rather than cellulose. OEM usually means lowest bid to get the job done. When you buy a new truck or car do they put the best tires available on it or tires that are "good enough" to sell the car?

Like I said in my post, I have used M1 filters and I'm happy with their quality.

/ Confused about oil change #6  
This is one of those subjects that can get real crazy real quick.I think in this day and age any quality filter will get the job done especially for guys like you and I and many others who use their tractors minimally and pretty light duty.I say you should use what you are comfortable with seeing as how you are the one footing the bill.

/ Confused about oil change #7  
The filter you used is just fine. I upgraded to a fleetguard filter which is longer than the Kubota filter. Don't worry about it. I use one filter for all my Kubota's for convenience instead of 4 different ones.

/ Confused about oil change #8  
I too like Mobil 1 filters.:thumbsup:

/ Confused about oil change
my point too. what makes you think you upgraded by getting something aftermarket? just a question.

Synthetic filter rather than cellulose (cardboard) filter.

I wasn't looking for a pi**ing contest over OEM vs aftermarket filter quality. It's my money so if I want to spend a couple bucks more for a filter that based on my research is a better quality filter, that's my choice. There's enough other people out there using Wix and NAPA filters and having good luck without their tractors blowing up.

I was just interested in finding out if anyone else was using a M1-104 filter on their tractor in place of the OEM filter as the M1 is a shorter.

Last edited: