Was moving snow banks and then...

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #1  

Mowbizz

Platinum Member
Tractor
'14 Kubota BX25D
Getting ready for the next storm that is supposed to bring another 6-12 inches before changing to rain...was pushing my plowing windrows back to make room for more plowing and had done about 100 ft when the BX 25D engine started acting like she was starving for fuel and losing power. Tried a few times to re-start and same thing. I figured since the temperature was 5 degrees above zero last night, perhaps there was some freezing in the lines.
Also, back when I did my 50 hour service I did not replace the fuel filters...so I was thinking that may be coming back to bite me in the *****.

I walked back to the garage and got some conditioner and fuel and topped the tank off after dumping some conditioner in. I then waited about a half hour and tried to start it again. It stumbled a bit then smoothed out enough to allow me to back up out of the snowbank and get on level ground before it stumbled and stalled out again. Wait another half hour while trying to find where the heck I hid the new filters...finally found them in my power grease gun bag...(go figure) and I walked back down to try to start her up again. Lo and behold she started up and after a little stumble, smoothed out and allowed me to drive her back up to the garage. I decided to replace the filters. The sun was out but it was only in the teens temp-wise so I started removing the top one first. Wouldn't allow my big hands to manipulate any tools between the plastic hood and the filter bracket so I went about seeing how to remove the plastic hood (sides) that slide in and out. Found that I had to take the front bumper off and did that pretty easily then the exhaust pipe extension had to come off to allow the plastic sides to slide forward. I could barely get a screwdriver on the hose clamp holding the extension because of the angle the thing was installed at ( I think they do this on purpose) :mad:

Finally got the hose clamp loosened a bit with much swearing then had to bang the thing with a hammer to get it off...yay...now I can slide the plastic sides forward and expose the upper filter. Plenty of room to work now.
Changing the filter was fairly, easy and I got the new one in place and tested for leaks...tractor started right up and ran smooth. Okay now for the lower filter. Looks like I have to remove the factory fan protector shield to have room to get at the filter. Bolts for the shroud must have been tightened by magilla the gorilla and all I could get on there was small 14mm wrenches...after more swearing and freezing hands and fingers I got a bolt out from each side and pried the shroud down and out of the way. Now the lower filter was exposed for replacement. I got the hose clamps out of the way and had forgotten to clamp the hose shut and received a nice diesel shower...I quickly grabbed the hose and put my thumb over the end while I groped around for the clamp. Finally clamped the hose off and stopped the flow of fuel..replaced the filter and coaxed the hose clamps back into place which is a thrill in itself with frozen fingers. Tried putting the filter clamp on but my fingers would not work any more so inside to thaw a bit and when I came back to it, it went on easy. Started the tractor and she fired right up with no more stumbling.
I hope the filters were the problem! Time will tell!
Probably the worst day this could have happened but I got it done and now know my BX a little better :laughing:

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #2  
Typically the lower filter is the culprit. I kept one on hand all the time since thye always fail when you need them running the most. Gotta love the nice cool diesel fuel running down your arms also...

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #3  
great story - because i can imagine just how you feel!

having read tons of stories about fuel filters and cold weather over the years i just did mine over thanksgiving weekend, at ~230 hrs, for the first time. machine has been running fine but figured they were due and didn't want to be doing them after the real cold sets in. even in "warm" conditions the bottom filter was a pain to change on the dirty floor of my unheated barn.

if you don't have them yet, get yourself some tools for the hose clamps! some discussion on that here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...o-your-own-fluids-filters-34.html#post3961084
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...o-your-own-fluids-filters-34.html#post3957613

if the filters don't solve your problem, check your fuel tank cap vent. if the vent is clogged the symptoms you described can result - the pump pulls vacuum on the tank and the machine is starved for fuel until it sits for a while.

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #4  
Typically the lower filter is the culprit. I kept one on hand all the time since thye always fail when you need them running the most. Gotta love the nice cool diesel fuel running down your arms also...

Is there an answer to why the problem with the lower filter ?

Bad fuel , condensation due to it's location .

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #5  
Is there an answer to why the problem with the lower filter ?

Bad fuel , condensation due to it's location .

my *guess* would be that it's the low point in the system and so water collects there

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #6  
my *guess* would be that it's the low point in the system and so water collects there

I think it's cause its first and catches most everything before it gets to the upper filter.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #7  
You picked a great day for that problem. It sure was cold here today.

L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #8  
There have been several discussions on this problem in the past. My opinion is the factory filter is not adequate for a diesel engine. I had mine do exactly what the OP described about 3 or 4 times over the years during the winter. I put a Racor filter on mine. Do a search and you will find some posts with pictures on how to do the install.

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #9  
There have been several discussions on this problem in the past. My opinion is the factory filter is not adequate for a diesel engine. I had mine do exactly what the OP described about 3 or 4 times over the years during the winter. I put a Racor filter on mine. Do a search and you will find some posts with pictures on how to do the install.

As a Cummins owner I can't figure out the barely acceptable filter system onmy BX diesel--no water separator = potential injector failure, does it not?
Common rail system, water in the system through an injector. The water vapor is pressurized and heated, becomes steam through the injector I would think.

At 100 hrs my filters were pretty dirty.

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #10  
I bet both filters will be change before snow flakes start dancing next year. ;)
Under such condition we don't forget for next time.