Could'nt start the BX again today!

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
Could\'nt start the BX again today!

Clearly this appears to be temperature related. In the shed it was around 15F and it was certainly colder over night.

My question is: Is it hurting my tractor for me to turn it over for long periods of time5 to 10 seconds of turning over before letting off. I hold it on because it appears to be "almost there" but it never did turn over. Is this completely unlubricated when I do that, or are there oil pumps running?

I know I need a block heater, but at least for this winter, I do not have electric in the shed. Any suggestions to get me through? I was thinking, a BIG extention cord and a 150W light bulb... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #2  
Re: Could\'nt start the BX again today!

Magnetic Block Heater, about $25, easy to install /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #3  

The only thing the 150 watt bulb will do is give you a lot of light. The magnetic heater would be the easyiest way out right now. They do not cost a lot and can be used elsewhere as can the cord. Batteries drain themselves in very cold weather and the BX probably has a small computer on it which is using power all the time. Now after several days of cold weather you turn the key on and the glow plugs suck some more power off that already low volt battery, now you engage the starter and more power is required so at this point you are probably below 11 1/2 volts or lower and it probably is just not turning fast enought. You could do a few tests like check battery voltage before trying to start or just take a nice fresh warm battery and jumper cables, hook them all up and then try it. the only thing that you will hurt cranking it so long is the starter and the unburned fuel might dilute the oil a little but very, very little.

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #4  

If memory serves me correctly you have about three or more hundred feet to run an extension. If you do, try and get the largest wire size possible.

A long extension cord, tarp and small electric heater with fan would also work. I have used this method and in a way it is prefferable as the whole tractor is warmed.

You could install an inline heater. They work just as well as a block heater.

The 150 watt bulb will, as others have said, give you light but forget any warming of the tractor.

My B7100 has an inline heater and has been started in - 35 centigrade temperatures. When the snow clearing started operator warmth was an issue. Exspecially the hands.

Egon

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #5  

Do you have a portable generator available? That could help to keep the battery at it's fullest which would help or just hooking up a set of jumper cables from another veichle for ten minutes before starting.

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #6  

i don't think your problem is with cold temperatures
the bx should start no problem at 15 degrees or even
lower. does any one else agree with me
lo

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #7  

Rogue,

Rather than crank it a lot at first, I would try holding the key in the glow plug position for a relatively long time before cranking it the first time. Say for a minute maybe.

Now you may already be doing this...

I have not tried starting my bX without using the block heater first, but I did try my B2910 last year in below freezing temps without the block heater [needed to use it right away] and it did start after cranking about 3 or 4 seconds...but it did not sound too nice and there was a lot more black smoke than usuall.

How long have you been holding the glow plugs on before cranking?

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #8  

rogue
make sure your battery cables are tight to battery
posts, vibration over time can loosen, had problem
of hard to start last winter and discovered loose battery
cable, it is 6 degree here today and started my bx22
no problem , held glows for count of 10

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #9  

This sounds just like when I had a weak battery in my B8200. It would turn over, and sounded like it was cranking well, but just would not start. I put a new battery in it, and it started like a champ.

The weak battery just was not spinning the motor fast enough for the diesel to do it's stuff. Mine has a compression realease to allow the motor to get spinning easier, but even that did not help.

Swap in a different, known good battery and try it.

Check your fuel too; maybe you got some funky stuff.

/ Could'nt start the BX again today! #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i don't think your problem is with cold temperatures
the bx should start no problem at 15 degrees or even
lower. does any one else agree with me
lo
)</font>

I'm afraid I can't agree with you because I have experienced just exactly what Rogue was describing. It's very frustrating, I know! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In my case, I put my battery charger on and charged the battery for several hours but it didn't help. What got mine started finally was nothing more than heating the space where the tractor was for about 5 hours. Don't have a thermometer in the shed but the temp felt in the high 20's to low 30's. The tractor started on the first couple of rev's.

I have purchased the block heater for installation but it is too cold to do this right now.

Without electricity I don't know how you could apply heat safely. Maybe a propane powered space heater of some sort?

Good luck and keep us posted, Rogue!