Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch??

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #1  

Gablez

Tractor
Kubota Bx1800
I am asking this for my 80 year old, computer illiterate dad. I am a tractor illiterate daughter, so pardon me if this is totally ignorant. I googled this question, but found nothing close to answering.

He has a BX 1800 and wants to know if there is a way to get "down force" on the three point hitch? Best I can understand, he is wanting to make the box blade dig into the ground.

Thank you in advance!

TLuker

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #3  
Newton's Law: For every action an equal and opposite reaction.

If he had hydraulic downforce it would lift the rear wheels off the ground, reducing traction.

Box Blades need quite a lot of weight to be effective. Pretty hard to find an effective one for a BX 1800, Kubota's lightest model.

He can try to improve the cutting angle by adjusting the Top Link which connects tractor to Box Blade. This is a length adjustment.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #4  
Adjust the toplink length, this changes the attack angle of the cutting edge.

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch??
Much Thanks!!!

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #6  
I am asking this for my 80 year old, computer illiterate dad. I am a tractor illiterate daughter, so pardon me if this is totally ignorant. I googled this question, but found nothing close to answering.

He has a BX 1800 and wants to know if there is a way to get "down force" on the three point hitch? Best I can understand, he is wanting to make the box blade dig into the ground.

Thank you in advance!

TLuker

We're glad to have you here and that was a good question--No question is ignorant..

As was said, some weight on the box blade or play with the dig angle. My BX23 isn't materially different, you can only apply so much pressure with a ~2000# machine.

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #7  
You're not the first to ask that question and won't be the last. AND THAT'S JUST FINE! :)
I know of no tractor, including these little BX's, that offers down force on the 3ph. It is all weight-based for the implement being used.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #8  
You're not the first to ask that question and won't be the last. I know of no tractor, including these little BX's, that offers down force on the 3ph. It is all weight-based for the implement being used.

Wrong!

Belarus tractors and MANY large tractors have 3pt down force.

My old 1986 Case 448 had 3pt down force.

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #9  
Agree with others that adding weight to the box blade itself is the only practical way to increase downforce on a BB on that tractor. I know of no aftermarket kit to do it on the tractor itself, and that's no doubt for good engineering reasons. It could technically be done by replacing the factory side links with hydraulic side links (one on each side) to push down on the link arms, but the tractor's components (and for that matter the components of most of the smaller tractors) aren't designed to withstand that type and direction of force. It would also reduce traction on the rear wheels, creating a new problem for a lightweight tractor.

Your dad could probably put together a rough wooden box to sit on top of the BB without too much trouble, then experiment with adding two or three solid cement blocks for added weight. That might do the trick for him without lugging down the tractor too much or causing it to lose traction. Certainly worth trying. He'll want to keep in mind that adding weight like that will increase the stress on the BB itself, so that will be a trade off with a lightly-constructed implement. Good luck with this!

/ Kubota BX1800 Downforce on 3 point hitch?? #10  

Thank you in advance!

TLuker

Lot's of good replies here and I'd only add this. You didn't tell us anything about your dad's box blade, which come in different sizes and weights. As mentioned, with nearly all small tractors, the weight of the implement is what gives downforce, so more weight = more downforce. While the BX1800 is a little tractor, it will lift over 500 lbs. on the three point. The box blade for my BX is a 48" one that weighs just under 400 lbs. and that's a pretty good size for the tractor. It digs pretty well and you can fill it with all the material the tractor will want to pull. If your dad's box blade is smaller than that, it would work better if more weight were added. If it's larger and heavier than mine, putting more weight on the blade could be too much for the BX to handle.

Also, does your dad's box blade have rippers to help dig into the ground and does he know how to adjust them? What type of surface is being worked on (i.e. loose soil, hard-packed ground, sandy vs. clay, gravel road, etc.)?

Using a box blade is tricky because the top link needs to be adjusted just right for it to work well. There is one setting for digging in most effectively and another setting levelling and smoothing out, but the operator has to experiment to find those settings on their own equipment.

Just some thoughts. More questions welcomed. Good luck!