Block Heater Works Great !

/ Block Heater Works Great ! #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
I finally got around to installing a Kubota block heater in my L5450. The job went well but I didn't think to take any pics. For anybody thinking about putting in a block heater, here are some details: (hope I'm not wasting bandwidth by repeating somebody)

Kubota's heater turns in to a fitting that you install in the side of the engine block. One heater part number fits a large number of tractor models.

First step is to drain the coolant - which on my rig was easy with a nice drain fitting they provided at the radiator. Next remove one of the freeze plugs on the left side - my engine is a 5-cylinder so I went with the middle one. The freeze plug was reasonably easy to remove by driving a large screwdriver through it and working/prying it out. The plug is very soft steel and doesn't fight back much.

This leaves a nice tapered hole that the tapered heater fitting is pressed into. There was some paint at the edge of the hole that I scraped out - then cleaned the hole with carb cleaner. The directions say to use loctite. There are about fifty grades of loctite these days - but I used their "high-strength" 27100 red, known in past years as "permanent" or "271". I drove the fitting into the block using a 1-1/8" socket, long extension and lead hammer. With the element turned a couple turns into the fitting, the socket slips over the flats and bears on the fitting. A long socket extension makes it easier to line it up for a straight shot into the hole. It doesn't go in all the way, there's still maybe 1/8" of exposed taper on the fitting when it is tight.

I turned the heater element back out to make sure no loctite had gotten into the threads, and left it overnight for the loctite to cure before installing the heater (with thread sealer) and pouring the coolant back in.

No leaks, No Drips, No Errors. Works like a charm. Life is good. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One final tidbit - these heaters are 400 watts. Most Kubota engines will warm up enough to start easily with 1-2 hours of connect time.

/ Block Heater Works Great ! #2  
Rbargeron you may have been lacking on the pictures but your step by step instructions make the installation of the block heater very easy to understand for anyone who already hasn't done so.

At this point will you be using a timer or just plugging the heater in as necessary.

/ Block Heater Works Great ! #3  
ok. question but I ordered the block heater (70000-73274) for my BX22 and it has a steel stud etc. Why do you need it?????????

Seems weird

/ Block Heater Works Great ! #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ok. question but I ordered the block heater (70000-73274) for my BX22 and it has a steel stud etc. Why do you need it?????????

)</font>

You don't! The service tech explained to me that this model fits many tractors, some need the stud and some don't. You also probably got a hose clamp which you won't need either. The included instructions show illustrations of other applications where the stud is used.

/ Block Heater Works Great !
Sorry - I should have posted the part number for my heater - it is 70000-92500. The instructions say it fits seventeen Lxx50 models, four M series, and five KX models, no BX models listed. This heater did not come with a stud or clamp.

/ Block Heater Works Great ! #6  
<font color="blue"> ok. question but I ordered the block heater (70000-73274) for my BX22 and it has a steel stud etc. Why do you need it????????? </font>

I want to remember that someone put up a thread here with a number of pictures on the installaton of a BX block heater... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I did not book mark it, as I had one installed by the dealer when I bought mine...

Hope I'm not full of hot air here! Maybe you can find that thread if you do a search...or someone may point it out...or maybe I'm thinking of something else??? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Also remember something about a run of block heaters that had messed up threads on them... the went in OK but did not seal well and dripped...seems like that was about 6 months ago, so that problem is likely resolved by now.