BX Cutting Edge

/ BX Cutting Edge #1  

BXman98

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370
Me and my dad are looking for a cutting edge for our Kubota BX tractor. We have had the bucket for about two or three months now and the other day I went outside to check the fluids in the tractor and I took a look at the bucket and I saw this.

image.jpg

I went back inside and I showed my dad that picture and he instantly said that we need to get a good bolt on cutting edge for it. I would like some insight on some good ones to check out.

/ BX Cutting Edge #2  
That looks normal for a new bucket. The cutting edge is pretty thin. As it wears it will get into the thicker part of the tapered edge. That will slow down the rate of wear. Any bolt on cutting edge will likely be thicker than the original so it will not wear as fast to start with. However, on a small machine the thicker cutting edge takes a lot more power to dig into the ground than a thin tapered edge. You might see a decrease in the capabilities of the loader if you change the edge from the original.

/ BX Cutting Edge #3  
I believe you are a great candidate for the Piranha tooth bar which will help protect your bucket edge and you need it if you did this in a few months use. Also helps cut into dirt and stuff.
I prefer the RatchetRake for my purposes since I use the lower pointing down finer teeth for leveling. The RR has forward pointing teeth plus lower pointing down teeth that restrict cutting straight in. The RR is under a minute to hook on and take off by a single person but you obviously need front edge bucket protection. Never seen one that dinged and I've owned several but I do usually have the RR on my bucket.

/ BX Cutting Edge #5  
I have the Piranha bar and can say it will take the abuse and show little if any sign of it, unlike your bucket. It is thicker, but is sharpened so it cuts well and stays sharp.

/ BX Cutting Edge
Well would that tooth bar be good for this tractor because this tractor does commercial landscaping and commercial plowing? I also plow with the bucket.

/ BX Cutting Edge #7  
I don't think a toothbar is going to be the total answer. Toothbars are for dirt. The wear you are seeing is from scraping concrete. Mine did the exact same thing when it was new from scraping ice on my concrete driveway. The wear has since slowed way down after the initial break in. You can get good bolt on cutting edges from any heavy equipment dealer to take the wear and protect the bucket during plowing season.

/ BX Cutting Edge #8  
You can get a "blank" toothbar from bxpanded that attaches the same way as the piranha toothbar does, don't see them on the site but give Harry a call.

/ BX Cutting Edge #9  
You can get a "blank" toothbar from bxpanded that attaches the same way as the piranha toothbar does, don't see them on the site but give Harry a call.

^^ THIS

i had harry make me one of these and it is amazing. i wanted something that i could use to scrape ice and hardpack off my paved driveway without destroying the bucket. plus, it mounts in the same holes as my piranha bar so i didn't have to cut my bucket again.

/ BX Cutting Edge #10  
Plowing with the bucket will greatly speed up the wear of the cutting edge. As far as efficiency and what things were engineered to do - buckets are for scooping and carrying materials, plows are for just that, plowing.

That little curled up edge isn't anything to worry about. Grind it off and it will keep coming back until you're into the meat of the cutting edge. Mine started to look like that after the first couple days of use, and it still does, no difference in performance.