Ballast BX25 Capabilities

/ BX25 Capabilities #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
Looks like I may be getting a BX25. I have quite the to do list for it already. Wondering how capable it will be of a few things on the list.

I'm looking to get a 4 foot rotary mower for it mainly for clearing trails and fence lines of willows. How well will they work together?

Also I would like to run my Danuser MD-6 post pounder with it and would like to upgrade to a hydraulic top link. Would it handle the pounder well and is it set up for hydraulic top link?

Last I am wondering if the tires are able to be ballasted and if they are big enough to even worry about ballasting? I want to use it for pulling out small pine trees from a few clearings. IMG_4419.jpgIMG_3739.jpgThanks

/ BX25 Capabilities #2  
This is Kubota's equivalent of JD's 1025R; I think. The 1025 can run a 4' bush hog very well.

I've drilled post holes with a 2 man post hole digger. It'll certainly do a lot better than that tool, which wasn't too bad.

I'd have the dealer ballast the rear tires. Cannot have too much ballast if you plan to have a loader on it.

Ralph

/ BX25 Capabilities #3  
Even though the BX-25 is a little pit bull, you have to be careful if you go off-roading or into the brush. There is a plastic fan up over the rear axle that cools the tranny. It's a magnet for sticks. So you might want to invest in some under body armor for it. Some sponsors on this site sell it. Also the owner's manual recommends against filling the rear tires if you run a back hoe. I'm here to say that I drove my BX over the roads for 5 miles with the loaded tires and the hoe. I didn't experience any problems. Just passing on the info.
Good luck with the new tractor.

Last edited:
   / BX25 Capabilities #5  
What did your dealer say when you asked him these questions? Did you buy the tractor already??

/ BX25 Capabilities #6  
Your used to a "real" tractor... The BX is a heavy duty garden tractor (queue the guys saying Im wrong:rolleyes:) . It has low ground clearance and a very soft and unprotected underbelly for woods work. I dont know if your post pounder will work either. What Cat is it, what's it weigh? BX is a small Cat1/Cat0. It doesnt have a lot of 3pt lift, certainly not as much as your current tractor. A BX will handle a 4' BH, but I wouldnt go over 2" with it, some guys on here say you can cut 3"+ with a HD BH. You likely wont be popping trees out with a BX loader (maybe small stuff, but nothing over a few inches with any amount of roots, it maxes out at about 500lbs lift capacity)!

If you want something smaller, Id consider a B over a BX. Actually I likely wouldnt go smaller than an L if I was doing it all over.

You might be in for a shock going from an old school 70hp, heavy, ag tractor.

/ BX25 Capabilities #8  
If you want something smaller, Id consider a B over a BX. Actually I likely wouldnt go smaller than an L if I was doing it all over.

My experience and my recommendation too.

/ BX25 Capabilities #9  
The little BX (and comparable from other manufacturers) are indeed "little bulldogs", but they are not made for clearing trees. It would be more maneuverable than your 3020 but lacks the weight and ground clearance for that kind of work. Pulling trees is rough duty and that hydraulic post pounder you've got needs to be on a decent sized tractor. Go up at least one size to get more ground clearance, but for the work you describe, I'd be looking for something closer in size to that old 3020.

/ BX25 Capabilities #10  
The BX has a backhoe. It will do well on small stumps and trees. May take you a little longer, but can get the work done. As an example, my brother took his BX25 to our dad's house and we used it to dig out his old sewer line and replace it last Saturday. We dug a 75' trench about 3 feet wide and averaged about 4.5' deep the entire length in about 6 hours. While a bigger machine could have dug this much faster, we were still able to do it and was much better than using shovels. He has been digging out a lot of stumps at his property recently too. It may be small, but it certainly is effective.

I used it to fill some stuff back in the same day at dad's house. Having been used to the L3800, yes, it does lack some weight from what you're used to, but it was still very effective. The loader and bucket are lighter so it won't smooth as much in float mode on backdragging, but will still get you close. you just have to have a little more finess.

I have been very impressed with what his tractor will do. So much so, that my next tractor will be a BX2370. I will get the added advantage that I can mow with it to, making it more utilitarian for me. I will put more hours on it than I did on my L3800. Don't get me wrong, I loved the L3800, but just wasn't using it enough for my $ worth. If I was rich, I'd have both, and maybe add an MX.