BX1500 Up and Down a Slope

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope #1  

thirdcoaster

Tractor
Kubota M6040 2wd Cab, Gehl CTL55
My yard has a slope (measured at 13 degrees and covering about 1 acre) that I mow by traveling up and down with a zero turn mower. The mower is a 52" cut with 23 hp. The major problem I am encountering is a lack of power while mowing uphill. The mower is in good mechanical condition and performs great on the flats, and of course downhill.

Another issue with the zero-turn is turning around at the bottom of the slope. If traction is less than optimal, there is quite a bit of sliding around to get turned around.

I have watched area listings for a small diesel tractor, and there is a BX1500 in excellent condition for a reasonable price. Can anyone that has owned /run a BX1500 give me an opinion on its power for climbing while mowing, and its stability? This particular BX1500 is 4wd, has the 54" deck and no loader. The grass we are mowing is mowed frequently.

My other option is to buy a higher horsepower zero-turn. I can, and have mowed the same slope with my M6040 and flail mower, but this setup is a little cumbersome, and the ground has to be very dry or we get ruts.

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope #2  
I have a BX23 that I mow with. It will climb a tree in low range which isn't a bad cutting speed...I think the BX15 would do a great job, just not as fast as the zero...The zero might have slightly better cut quality depending but I'm somewhat picky and I think my lawn looks good when cut.

I can cut up and down my sand mound which is on a very steep angle in 4x4 with no issues.

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope #3  
My first Kubota was a BX2200 FEL MMM. I mow on a hillside acres with gullies, trees and limestone. After one year I decided to trade the BX2200 to a B7800 FEL and a BX1500 MMM which I kept for 3 years.
The BX1500 MMM never missed a beat or stuttered and never slowed down on steepest sections with wide open throttle. It was my most stable hillside mower except for maybe and it's a maybe my F3080s 72"decks which is what I now use. I even mowed crossways with the BX1500 as well as up and down.
I traded the BX1500 to Barlows and he sold it to a W Va customer that gives glowing reports here about it from time to time. Go for the BX1500.:thumbsup:
Only issue and it's a part of the beast is the wild shake when you turn it off with throttle pulled all the way back so let it run above idle when you turn it off.

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope #4  
Add some rear wheel spacers. You'll be glad you did.

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope
I called to buy the BX this morning and someone beat me to it! Oh well.... thanks for the replies, and I will keep looking.

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope #6  
My yard has a slope (measured at 13 degrees and covering about 1 acre) that I mow by traveling up and down with a zero turn mower. The mower is a 52" cut with 23 hp. The major problem I am encountering is a lack of power while mowing uphill. The mower is in good mechanical condition and performs great on the flats, and of course downhill.

------------------------------------

13 degrees isn't very much. Have you tried mowing sideways?
Slope Grade-Angle.png

I mow a 26.6 degree slope sideways with a 6' front deck 4 wheel drive TORO.

P5250002.JPG
P5250018.JPG
PB060016.JPG

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope
Mowing sideways is sketchy because unlike your machine, my mower has idler wheels on the front that offer no steerage or drive power. If the rear tire(s) break traction, the front wheels follow gravity.

/ BX1500 Up and Down a Slope #8  
Keep looking Coaster, I got my BX2230 off ebay for less than a dealer site listed a BX1500. Well worth the wait and money. For what you are doing, any size BX would be great. Good luck!