Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX?

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Thinking of mounting an electric winch on my BX. Found this one for cheap at Harbor Frieght. Coupon sale is $59.99 What do you all think? Mounting location? Please share your experiences with winches on small tractors?

2500 lb. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control

Don't think I will use it too often so don't really want to invest too much.

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #2  
Thinking of mounting an electric winch on my BX. Found this one for cheap at Harbor Frieght. Coupon sale is $59.99 What do you all think? Mounting location? Please share your experiences with winches on small tractors?

2500 lb. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control

Don't think I will use it too often so don't really want to invest too much.

Not to pee on your idea, but as a person who spent many years looking at specifications. I have some reservations. First is the 5 percent duty rating and the line speed of no load at just under 14 feet per minute. At full load of 2500 lbs on the first wrap on the spool, you have 45 seconds maximum at 132 amps of current. Keep in mind your little alternator on your BX is going to be really huffing and puffing and falling behind at full load. I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are going to pull a rock or log towards you, it would probably be OK. The ad says it has a free spool function. the specs say it is power in and power out. The supplied wire is 10 gauge, which is generally good for 30 amps, yet the full load current could be as high as 132 amps. According to their own specs. I guess my final thoughts, are you sure could not operate it very long, with much of a load, until the smoke starts rolling out of it you need to wait 15 minutes after operating it 45 seconds at full load. So think of it as something that could pull 500 lbs for a couple of minutes, not something that could pull 2500 lbs if that was your intention.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #3  
Not to pee on your idea, but as a person who spent many years looking at specifications. I have some reservations. First is the 5 percent duty rating and the line speed of no load at just under 14 feet per minute. At full load of 2500 lbs on the first wrap on the spool, you have 45 seconds maximum at 132 amps of current. Keep in mind you little alternator on you BX is going to be really huffing and puffing and falling behind at full load. I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are going to pull a rock or log towards you, it would probably be OK. The ad says it has a free spool function. the specs say it is power in and power out. The supplied wire is 10 gauge, which is generally good for 30 amps, yet the full load current could be as high as 132 amps. According to their own specs. I guess my final thoughts, are you sure could not operate it very long, with much of a load, until the smoke starts rolling out of it you need to wait 15 minutes after operating it 45 seconds at full load. So think of it as something that could pull 500 lbs for a couple of minutes, not something could could pull 2500 lbs if that was your intention.

Good Advise !!!!!

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #4  
I bought a different, cheaper model, about 10 years ago from Harbor Freight and have used it quite a bit and the thing refuses to die.

2000 lb. Marine Electric Winch

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #5  
I have several of these small winches and was disappointed as could be when I was 16 and paid cash that I had earned on something that did not perform. Use a simple hand crank to load garden tractor onto snowmobile trailer. Bought it after the winch did not do the job. Have the same trailer and JD 212 40 years later. Currently using a warn 12,000 winch to do what I wanted the 2500 lb. superwinch to do. You do learn as you get older.

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX?
Please more comments. I'm only looking at this this for occasional use at best. Getting out of 'stuck' or pulling the odd log or something. Not for any real sustained productive use.

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #7  
As far as getting stuck, in my opinion there is no more simple and valuable tool than a set of tire chains. If you got of a set of those, forget the winch.

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #8  
I bought a different, cheaper model, about 10 years ago from Harbor Freight and have used it quite a bit and the thing refuses to die.

2000 lb. Marine Electric Winch

Ditto, in fact, once I used mine as a substitute to lift my plow while I was awaiting a new one for it.

Back on Tuesday, after getting my 2001 F-350 stuck plowing we parked the B2320 on the top of the driveway, facing away from it, amd dug the PTBin as an anchor, then used the hitch ball to hook the winch to, running the winch off the battery of our Honda Fit (it was running to keep the charge up), put a sheave block on the truck's trailer hitch, amd hooked the bitter end of the winch cable to a nylon strap wrapped around a convenient tree or two. It was slow and we had to shorten the line a few times, but it saved us calling triple A, and we felt good about getting it out.

We paid $50 for it about a decade ago, and only use occasionally, but for what it is, it works its little heart out...

When we need to do some maintanence on our raft for our pond, we made an "A-Frame" out of cedar logs with a sheave block attached to the top, and suspended that from our truck, then ran a cable trough the block and to winch on the truck's hitch, and to the raft, and hauled it straight up and outen the pond.

Moving it from there was a bit more complicated but we got er done...

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #9  
Please more comments. I'm only looking at this this for occasional use at best. Getting out of 'stuck' or pulling the odd log or something. Not for any real sustained productive use.

As for getting stuck, while I know that there is always a way to get any vehicle stuck almost beyond belief, you can often get your loader-equipped tractor out by using the bucket to either pull or push your way along with the motive force of your wheels. I would think a backhoe would be a mixed bag of great pulling or pushing assist, but also more weight and clearance reduction.

Thomas

/ Thoughts on mounting a 2500b winch on BX? #10  
James, your advice is both good & correct. Believe me Dragoneggs - a small super winch on the front of your tractor is there mainly for show. Its going to peter out in a heartbeat if its ever put to the test. If you are looking to pull the tractor out - get a cable come-along or such. No electrical connections, no boiled over battery, no burned up alternator and a whole lot better capacity.