Strange BX Starting Issue

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #1  

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
I did a search and didn't find anything quite like this issue. I have a BX2350 with about 1200 hours on it, and I bought it new.

I started it today, and it fired right up, but the RPMs raced to about 3500, even though I moved the throttle all the way down. This continued for about 15 seconds as it belched thick black smoke, and then it died. I tried to restart, and it would turn over, but it wouldn't start. I let it sit for about 15 minutes, tried again, and it ran fine. It has behaved similarly for the last three days, but each day gets worse.

I don't know if it's related, but the temps have been single digits recently. In the winter time, I use this tractor daily, but not for an extended period. I just haul manure out of the barn. I let it run for a while yesterday at about 2800 RPM. I was thinking that maybe it just needed more use, but that didn't help today.

Any ideas?

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #2  
Not sure about the "revving" thing but usually the fuel filters are the cause of stuttering and stalling in cold weather. Diesel gelling and freezing will block them (filters) if the diesel fuel has water in it.

Have you changed the filters on the BX lately? Also check the air filter for blockage of any sort...sorry, that's all I can suggest because I have had the stalling out on mine this winter due to gelling/freezing fuel.

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #3  
I am not a mechanic....but revving on its own is not a good thing. I seriously recommend that you get it to a mechanic for an inspection asap. Stalling and sputtering are happening to a lot now (including me) due to gelling fuel which causes fuel starvation at the engine. What you have going on is the opposite. It seems like fuel or lube oil is making its way into the cylinders when you have it parked...then it is revving uncontrollably when you get it started. You're lucky you've got is stopped and then able to restart. This condition often ends in catastrophic damage when the owner is unable to stop the engine and it runs up to high speeds until something breaks. Just google "runaway diesel." If I were you I would stop trying to run it all all until the issue has been identified.

/ Strange BX Starting Issue
Thanks for the feedback. All the filters were replaced last summer, so those should be good.

sdk131, that sounds scary and quite plausible. The symptoms match and it kind of matches the recent history with this tractor. I spent a bunch of money last year to fix transmission/hydraulic leaks and the front axle seals also needed replacing. I currently have another rear axle leak and a hydraulic leak under the steering wheel. Neither of these look like they would affect the engine, but there does seem to be a general tendency for oil going where it's not supposed to be. I could definitely picture oil somehow leaking into the cylinders as it sits.

I think I'll leave it parked until I can get it into the shop. I had never heard the term "runaway diesel," and I appreciate the heads up. It's kind of a pain to not have the BX for daily use, but "catastrophic damage" sounds worse. :eek:

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #5  
Right...hope I am wrong...but better to be safe than sorry.

I have a bit of an update, for anyone that's interested. After a month, the snow was finally gone from my driveway, so I was ready to take the tractor into the shop. Getting it loaded on the flatbed without turning it on was a treat. :rolleyes: I learned that I have NO steering when the engine is off. I was expecting it to just be more difficult to steer, but it turns out that the steering wheel just spins without effect when the engine is off.

I got to the shop, told them the situation, and a couple of mechanics came out to the trailer and told me to start it up. I was a bit nervous, because they really didn't look like they were poised to leap into action to somehow shut off the tractor, if needed. I prepared for the worst, started it up for the first time in a month, and it purred like a kitten. :mad:

So they didn't sound too confident that they could make a clear diagnosis, but I had other work to be done on it, and they had a backlog of other tractors ahead of me.

I received a call yesterday, it did the same revving issue for them, and they said it was the fuel injector sticking. They suggested replacing the fuel injector, which is a lot of money, but hopefully that will take care of it.

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #7  
I did a search and didn't find anything quite like this issue. I have a BX2350 with about 1200 hours on it, and I bought it new.

"I started it today, and it fired right up, but the RPMs raced to about 3500, even though I moved the throttle all the way down."

You haven't mentioned if you have any fuel conditioner in the tank. My 35 hp TAFE acted like this when its fuel system froze up for the first time this winter. After the application of diesel winter conditioner I noticed that the volatile components in the additive made the engine rev up considerably more than usual at start.

Something to check as well is the air cleaner for ice.

Sounds as though the tractor would appreciate some time in a heated garage to eliminate ice as a potential issue.

You haven't mentioned if you have any fuel conditioner in the tank. My 35 hp TAFE acted like this when its fuel system froze up for the first time this winter. After the application of diesel winter conditioner I noticed that the volatile components in the additive made the engine rev up considerably more than usual at start.

Something to check as well is the air cleaner for ice.

Sounds as though the tractor would appreciate some time in a heated garage to eliminate ice as a potential issue.
In my case, I wasn't using fuel conditioner, and the shop claimed they repeated the behavior when it was considerably warmer outside. I'm paying a bunch of money to have a new fuel injector installed, so hopefully that was the problem.

I agree that winter is hard on all of us, and a heated garage would be nice. But I don't own one, so the horses AND the tractors will have to make do without one. ;)

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #9  
Is the dealer telling you that only one injector is sticking? I am trying to understand how one injector can cause this. I am not a diesel mechanic but worked for a GM and Honda dealer ship for 35 plus years. I have had many cars with bad injectors but the engines never reved like that. I know this is two different animals but am trying to understand how a stuck injector can cause this.

/ Strange BX Starting Issue #10  
may be talking about the fuel pump, one injector shouldn't be real expensive