R4 vs Bar Turf

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #1  

MattEffinCameron

Silver Member
Tractor
B2920
Looking at a used B series tractor...the guy selling it has both bar turf and R4 tires he could sell it with. I really wanted turf since my primary focuses will be mowing and snow removal...but thats not an option at the moment, its a great deal, and im not able (or very interested in) shelling out ~850 for a set of turfs at the moment.

So im wondering what people recommend.

How are bar turfs in snow?

Based on my reading/research, the issue when mowing is the camber on the front of a 2x20...where the wheels are angled inward: \ -- / ...this puts the corner of the wheel right into the ground and on a tire like the R4 with those big lugs obviously damages the turf. The Bar turf, have a weird tread on the back (cant quite tell what I should expect that tread to excel at doing) with a tread on the front tires that is only slightly rougher than regular turf tires. To me this means the bar turfs might be almost as good as the turfs on the lawn and will be much better than the R4s.

And if I got the tractor and decided to put an ad on craigslist to trade someone my wheels for theirs....what do you think would be more marketable? I am guessing the R4s?

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #2  
Turfs, especially the bar turfs, are great in snow. The toe-in is easily adjustable, but I have no idea how that would affect steering or tire wear on a tractor.

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #3  
Could you find a pic online of the "bar turfs" you're describing and post it? Also, which B model are you talking about, as wheel size has varied over the years and models, and I think that makes a difference. I've had turfs on my B 2150HST for 21 years (Kubota OEM still on the rear, and newer Carlisles on the front). They are outstanding on grass, snow and rough ice.

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #5  
   / R4 vs Bar Turf #6  
I think he is referring to one of these
this came off the BX brochure.

tires.jpg

/ R4 vs Bar Turf
I think he is referring to one of these
this came off the BX brochure.

View attachment 416543

Those are actually (based on my understanding) R4 Industrial, Turf, and R1 Ag tires (from left to right)

The "Bar Turf" I am referring to is the same tires I have seen on this site when others have discussed bar turf so I am inclined to think it is a proper example of bar turf...here are pics below. Weird pattern on the rear with a zigzag tread down the middle, and perhaps most importantly for better behavior when mowing a lawn, a much less aggressive tread for the fronts..it is a bit more aggressive than the turf but much less so compared to the R4.

Definitely interested in Varmint responding to confirm these are what he was thinking of when he said they are great in snow?

IMG_1066.JPGIMG_1067.JPG

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #8  
P1000345.jpgP1010768.jpg

I was thinking of the center photo tires, "turf tires" which is more or less what I had on my B8200 and now on my L3400. Like threepoint said, great for grass, snow and rough ice. Your front tires are similar to my present turfs, front and rear. Not that it would help, but I can add a photo- sorry it isn't more clear on the tread. The photo of the chained tire is from the old B8200. I find I need chains when the packed snow turns into ice, especially partially melted, wet ice.

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #9  
Anyway you could get him to include both sets to close the deal? May be the best of both worlds being able to swap tires.

/ R4 vs Bar Turf #10  
I had bar turfs on my first tractor, a Deere 670. They did OK for most tasks. I don't think they were as good as regular turf tires for snow plowing. Bar turfs are less aggressive then R-4 industrials, so less likely to tear up a lawn.
If the main task is mowing, then go for the bar turfs. But try not to use MFWD when mowing...any tire is going to tear up the lawn if in 4WD.
BTW, with snow clearing, you'll want weight on the 3PH (unless you're going to use a 3PH snow blower). Any tractor will lose traction if there's not enough weight on the back for tires to get a good bite.