Motor oil

/ Motor oil #1  

roadtrash

Tractor
kubota
I'm getting ready to do the 100 hr. service on my 3010, a friend gave me two gals. of Shell API-CL-4SL 15w 40 oil which he says will work fine, Will this oil work ? it's not listed in the owners manual and I'm a little nervous about straying from the book. Also ..is there a good place to order filters and such on line? Thanks in advance

/ Motor oil #2  
<font color="red"> </font> "Also ..is there a good place to order filters and such on line?" <font color="red"> </font>

www.filter1.com for WIX filters.

TBone

/ Motor oil #3  
The CL part of the oil ID is the latest diesel oil API rating.
The SL part of the code is one of the latest, if not THE latest gas engine rating.
So, unless I've really screwed up here, the oil is one of the latest and greatest formulations (probably why your manual did not list the newer CL rating). Passes very high standards for both gas and diesel engines. Shell is widely respected as a very good oil by most folks on this forum.
Bottom line.....use this oil.
There's lots of explanations on various websites (and on Tractorbynet). I just did a quick check and came up with this site that has basic explanation of API ratings:
API Service Codes

roger

/ Motor oil #4  
re:eek:il filters site
These folks bend over backwards to help you. They have a good parts ordering website. Also, you can download FREE PDF parts files listing every part number for your tractor. You can then order any part you need on their website when you the part # in hand. I ordered some filters from them a few days ago. They arrived at the house in 3 business days.
There are other good sites too. I just took a liking to this one for the ease of use.....and especially the parts files they gave me!
Tratorsmart.com

/ Motor oil #5  
Roadtrash

I noticed you are in northern michigan. I think I recall it getting cold where you live. I would check your owners manual and pick the oil they recommend for the minimum temperature in your area.

I run 15w40 in my b7200 but I live in california where the temperature drops below freezing a half dozen days a year, and that is only by a few degrees. I would be reluctant to run 15w40 in a place that regularly gets down into the teens unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it.