FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh????

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #1  

George the Beagle

Gold Member
Tractor
BX 2370
I have FINALLY removed the snowblower on my BX1860 and went to attach the FEL for the first time this spring. None of the four hydraulic lines will click into place. They'll go almost all the way, but won't make the final latch.

What am I doing wrong here?

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #2  
Have you tried releasing the pressure from your loader lines?

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #3  
The fluid in the lines has warmed up and expanded. Some people tap the ball in the center of the FEL line connector with a piece of wood or metal. Myself I loosened one of the lines with a wrench where it connected or a connection point which released the pressure and easy peasy to connect then but near impossible without relieving the built up hyd pressure.
The pressure can some time be high enough to pierce the skin which is very dangerous so be careful all all times around your hyd lines.

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #4  
Honestly the best option is to wrap the connector in a rag, then use something to tap on the ball to release the pressure. As stated above sometimes the hydraulic fluid will be under such high pressure it is a hazard. The rag over the end will catch any of the fluid expelled and prevent injury. It is more difficult to loosen a line with a rag wrapped around it. Not having something to prevent it from shooting a high pressure spray is asking for injury.

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #5  
I have had this problem when I take the FEL off the tractor in the cool of the early morning and try to reattach it after the FEL has soaked in the heat of the day. A liberal application of cold water, from a garden hose, applied to the lift & curl cylinders made reconnection easy.

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #6  
I have had this problem when I take the FEL off the tractor in the cool of the early morning and try to reattach it after the FEL has soaked in the heat of the day. A liberal application of cold water, from a garden hose, applied to the lift & curl cylinders made reconnection easy.

Yup, that's my preferred method. Or just wait till it cools down. I'm always hesitant about scratching the ball if I tap it.

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #7  
Yup, that's my preferred method. Or just wait till it cools down. I'm always hesitant about scratching the ball if I tap it.

Well covered in a rag, I generally use the wooden handle of a hammer to tap it a few times. I seriously doubt it will mar that hardened steel ball any. There are times we need to connect things now rather than later. Generally all that is lost is less than a teaspoon.

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #8  
agreed. wrag and tap..

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #9  

This is the same thing I had to do once.

/ FEL lines refuse to connect. Huh???? #10  
I have done the wrap and tap with a wooden handle after making sure there is no grit on the handle or rag.