BX25D runs rough when left side uphill?

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #1  

millsan1

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 Cab, Volvo ECR40D Excavator
I have very hilly property. If I have to operate on a side slope, I have noticed that the machine seems to run rough when the left side is uphill vs no change if the right side is uphill.

I haven't dug into the guts yet, as I am a new owner, but this seems odd ot me.

Is the fuel pickup on the left side of the tank or something?

The first I noticed it, I was low on fuel and figured that contributed, but I have 3/4 of a tank and it did it again.

Any guidance is appreciated.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #2  
Might be that you have some condensation in the bottom of the tank and it gets to the fuel line intake when your in that position. There should be a petcock on the bottom of the tank you can drain some fuel off the bottom into a glass jar so you can see if there are any water droplets in the bottom. There should also be a drain under your fuel filter where you can do the same. You should check them both on a regular basis.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill?
I'll check, but I hope not, this is a brand new machine.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #4  
I'll check, but I hope not, this is a brand new machine.

That makes no difference. just a few days sitting on a lot with the temperature and humidity both going up and down can create condensation. Especially if it is below freezing at night and warm and humid during the day. Lets hope that's all it is as that is an easy fix.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #5  
I have a couple of very steep spots that I can just manage to mow going sideways on the slope. I've found that if my fuel gets down much, it will do the same thing - run fine in the one direction, start to stall out in the other. Topping up the fuel fixes the problem every time, so I'm sure it's running out when tipped steeply the one way. In one case it died altogether and I walked back and got the fuel can, added diesel, started right up and away I went.

I've noticed the fuel gauge will reflect this also. The one direction it shows completely full, the other it shows pretty much empty when it starts stuttering and running out of fuel.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #6  
I have a couple of very steep spots that I can just manage to mow going sideways on the slope. I've found that if my fuel gets down much, it will do the same thing - run fine in the one direction, start to stall out in the other. Topping up the fuel fixes the problem every time, so I'm sure it's running out when tipped steeply the one way. In one case it died altogether and I walked back and got the fuel can, added diesel, started right up and away I went.

I've noticed the fuel gauge will reflect this also. The one direction it shows completely full, the other it shows pretty much empty when it starts stuttering and running out of fuel.

I will assume that the BX25D hasn't changed all that much for the fuel tank from my 11 yr old BX2230.
The fuel comes out of the low point in the tank right between your legs. There is no valve there at all, it just flows to the first filter under the floor pan, then into the electric lift pump. It would take quite a tilt to have 3/4 tank of the fuel drained away from the output; I'm not sure if that is even possible. The fuel gauge on the other hand is up on the top of the tank way back behind your left elbow. So if the left side is high, the gauge will read empty even at 3/4 full. If the right side is high, it might read full even on 1/2 tank.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill?
Useful stuff, thanks guys

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #8  
I will assume that the BX25D hasn't changed all that much for the fuel tank from my 11 yr old BX2230.
The fuel comes out of the low point in the tank right between your legs. There is no valve there at all, it just flows to the first filter under the floor pan, then into the electric lift pump. It would take quite a tilt to have 3/4 tank of the fuel drained away from the output; I'm not sure if that is even possible. The fuel gauge on the other hand is up on the top of the tank way back behind your left elbow. So if the left side is high, the gauge will read empty even at 3/4 full. If the right side is high, it might read full even on 1/2 tank.

I can't be sure if mine has had a full 3/4 tank when this happens, probably not - but I'm sure it has read better than 1/2. And it will do it consistently. Diesel stored indoors, tractor kept indoors, never below 50-55 degrees, use Seafoam regular. I don't really think it's any water issue or anything like that. I've gotten to where I just always top it off prior to mowing my very steep slopes, and I never have this happen anymore.

These couple of areas are really quite steep - with loaded rear tires, and hanging my butt half off the seat on the uphill side, it is still is very slow and careful going.

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #9  
Milsand--- left side uphill?, I would be suspecting the seat safety switch, may be cutting out a little ,due to some bouncing. May be easily fixed with a little adjustment (bending the mounting tabs).
Report back please , if this ends up solving the problem.

Don

/ BX25D runs rough when left side uphill? #10  
Milsand--- left side uphill?, I would be suspecting the seat safety switch, may be cutting out a little ,due to some bouncing. May be easily fixed with a little adjustment (bending the mounting tabs).
Report back please , if this ends up solving the problem.

Don

This is a very good point! I've fixed that situation long enough ago to not think of it, but it was a real annoyance.