Working in the dealership

/ Working in the dealership
Especially in a commercial situation, people want to know that the person they are communicating with A) Knows what they are doing, and B) Can be trusted to do the job properly and on time. They may swallow hard when they get the bill, but having the machine back functioning at 100% is what really matters.

I've read enough of your posts Brian to envision you doing quite well in this Shop Foreman role.

Enjoy the new job !

Rgds, D.

So true. I had a customer this week with a Bobcat E80 excavator that he bought on the east coast and had it shipped out here. It had some problems and the pin hole in the end of the dipperstick was oblonged and needed line bored and new bushings. He also wanted a Wain-Roy coupler and thumb. For whatever reason the sales department couldn't get the Wain-Roy thumb so we had to modify a Bobcat thumb.
Long story short, I kept him in the loop through everything and told him it was done on Wednesday. Thursday morning when I came in I found out we hadn't checked the circuit relief on the thumb. I got my tech on it as soon as I could. In my previous conversation with the customer he was still trying to put together transportation for the machine to his jobsite. About the time we started working on it his transport guy showed up. I had to call my customer and let him know I dropped the ball. He was okay with it since we had had such good communication and agreed it was worth our time to make sure those relief pressures were right even though the machine previously had a thumb. It was a good thing we did, whoever put the last thumb on never adjusted them and the circuit reliefs were over by 2000+ psi, it is possible that's why the dipperstick pin, bushings, etc were so torn up. Even though I made a mistake and cost him a day he is a happy customer due to the communication and that it was fixed properly.

Brian

/ Working in the dealership #22  
I agree...I can handle bad news but I get po'd with bad information or no information at all. My dealer keeps me up to date and in the loop...good for business!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Working in the dealership #23  
Brian, glad to hear you moved up the ladder. I was a tech for a GM and Honda dealership for over 30 years and know what that can do to a body. My back is still pretty good but my left knee is junk. I am happy for ya, keep up the good work. And like was said earlier keeping the customer informed through out the repair process goes a long way.

/ Working in the dealership #24  
Just curious. Are the dealers in the US taking care of customer satisfaction? Example, does the dealer representative make a phone call to the customer within a few days after repair to find out if the job was done properly and a customer has no any complaints?

/ Working in the dealership #25  
So true. I had a customer this week with a Bobcat E80 excavator that he bought on the east coast and had it shipped out here. It had some problems and the pin hole in the end of the dipperstick was oblonged and needed line bored and new bushings. He also wanted a Wain-Roy coupler and thumb. For whatever reason the sales department couldn't get the Wain-Roy thumb so we had to modify a Bobcat thumb.
Long story short, I kept him in the loop through everything and told him it was done on Wednesday. Thursday morning when I came in I found out we hadn't checked the circuit relief on the thumb. I got my tech on it as soon as I could. In my previous conversation with the customer he was still trying to put together transportation for the machine to his jobsite. About the time we started working on it his transport guy showed up. I had to call my customer and let him know I dropped the ball. He was okay with it since we had had such good communication and agreed it was worth our time to make sure those relief pressures were right even though the machine previously had a thumb. It was a good thing we did, whoever put the last thumb on never adjusted them and the circuit reliefs were over by 2000+ psi, it is possible that's why the dipperstick pin, bushings, etc were so torn up. Even though I made a mistake and cost him a day he is a happy customer due to the communication and that it was fixed properly.

Brian

Great example.

Nobody wants extra downtime, but Late Due to Doing It Right is pretty much the best case situation.

Rgds, D.

/ Working in the dealership #26  
Just curious. Are the dealers in the US taking care of customer satisfaction? Example, does the dealer representative make a phone call to the customer within a few days after repair to find out if the job was done properly and a customer has no any complaints?

I get an email after a few days. I had a minor beef recently where the rear brakes ground into the rotors on one of my cars yet that car was in the same shop 5,000 miles prior and they did not mention the brakes needed work. One of their sales pitches is that they check for routine things, rotate tires, etc. even if the car is in for an oil change. Well they obviously did not. I gave them honest feedback in the email, did not flame them and had already paid the bill. I was expecting a call back, but I did not get one. Not a big deal, the car needed a brake job anyway, but it would have been nice not to have been surprised by the brakes grinding. I will continue to take my 4 vehicles there because they do a good job and charge a fair price, but they could use a little better follow up. I like the fact that they make a go of it with only 3 bays and they are an old time gas station garage. I will mention that I did not get a call back to the main guy next time I am in, but I am not going to fuss over it. I figure he needs feedback.

/ Working in the dealership
Thank you all for the kind words.

Brian

/ Working in the dealership #28  
I moved from service tech to parts about 3 years ago after wrenching about 15 years. It was time. I miss the travel, but don't miss the work. I tell folks "there's good & bad in all of it". Right now, Parts Manager is a good fit for me.

/ Working in the dealership #29  
brain55--

Congratulations. As an old Boss use to tell me.........."The Cream always rises to the Top".

Charlie

/ Working in the dealership #30  
brain55--

Congratulations. As an old Boss use to tell me.........."The Cream always rises to the Top".

Charlie

Good saying.:thumbsup: