Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
Went out on my Kubota L4330 this afternoon, got halfway up to my pole barn and it started to die out and then stopped. The Mid-PTO symbol came on on the dash lights, never had seen that before. As far as I know, I have no mid-PTO.

Tractor in neutral, key turned on to 'start", zero response, won't start, won't crank, won't do nothing.

I've never had this happen before, have no clue what the heck is going on.

HELP!

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO #2  
Crawl under the tractor and see if you have a mid PTO. If you do, find out what lever or switch engages it then put lever or switch in the other state. If you don't have one... (pray that you do). Then it sounds like a computer logic error.. Disconnect battery, reconnect, and try again. Keep in mind I don't know anything about L4330's. But of course tractor would not start if any PTO is engaged, so that would be normal not to start.

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO #3  
Of course the fact that it was running and then died, does not bode well for the first scenario of accidental PTO engagement.. I am thinking this is a "glitch"

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO
Crawl under the tractor and see if you have a mid PTO. If you do, find out what lever or switch engages it then put lever or switch in the other state. If you don't have one... (pray that you do). Then it sounds like a computer logic error.. Disconnect battery, reconnect, and try again. Keep in mind I don't know anything about L4330's. But of course tractor would not start if any PTO is engaged, so that would be normal not to start.

This is what I'm gonna try next.

I don't *think* I have a mid-PTO. Wouldn't it be obvious under the tractor???? :confused:

Cornfused is my current state of mind.............. :eek:

Disconnecting the battery didn't do squat.

First time I've had to leave my tractor out in the field........ :(

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO #6  
This is what I'm gonna try next.

I don't *think* I have a mid-PTO. Wouldn't it be obvious under the tractor???? :confused:

Cornfused is my current state of mind.............. :eek:

Well the Mid PTO is not quite as big as the rear one, and usually have a cap over them to protect the splines. They are not all that obvious.

Any other ideas? We were supposed to go pick up a chicken house this morning. That's on hold until I can get the tractor started.

It looks to me I need to get the mid-PTO to turn "off" even though it doesn't appear that I have one. There is no switch or control anywhere on the tractor to turn one on (unlike the PTO control that is located to the right and the rear of the seat area. There is no control where the owner's manual shows one for the mid-PTO lever.

Thanks,

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO #8  
Any other ideas? We were supposed to go pick up a chicken house this morning. That's on hold until I can get the tractor started.

It looks to me I need to get the mid-PTO to turn "off" even though it doesn't appear that I have one. There is no switch or control anywhere on the tractor to turn one on (unlike the PTO control that is located to the right and the rear of the seat area. There is no control where the owner's manual shows one for the mid-PTO lever.

Thanks,

This is bad. OK, I am convinced you don't have a Mid PTO, but your computer is convinced it has one and it is turned on, so the tractor won't start. So battery disconnection did not cause the computer to reboot. OK, we have to figure out out to reboot the computer. Try the link below.. the problem is a different problem, but it is a service interval reset, and who knows it might reset this problem.

Viewing a thread - Kubota L series service reset

Ok thanks, that will be the next thing I try.

Thanks,

/ Totally dead tractor - mid-PTO symbol on - no mid-PTO #10  
I vote for a loose wire. Can you find and access your fuse panel? There might be a fuse associated with a mid pto.
I am probably wrong, but I doubt that L had an option for a mid pto.