MX 5200 first regen

/ MX 5200 first regen #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
Well today it happened. At 22 hours my mx5200 decided it needed a regen. Here is what happened.

First I would like to explain what was supposed to happen for a regen.

The mx5200 has a regen inhibit button if you do NOT want it to regen automatically. You have to manually push this button/option to inhibit regen. If button is not pushed then auto regen will happen as I work the tractor.

When it decides it needs to regen, the regen light will come on dash and blink. At this time, I F the rpms need raised to allow regen to work properly, a raise rpms light will come on until I manually raise rpms high enough. Once rpms are high enough, that rpm light will go out and the regen light will stay on solid while it regens and while I continue working.

Sounds simply right!!????

Here is what actually happened.

I was winching and skidding firewood. Regen light and raise rpm light come on and both blink. Ok, I raised rpms to 1500 (manual says 1300 rpms or higher).

Nothing happens. Both lights continue to flash.

Ok, I raise rpms to 2000. Still both lights flash. Remember, the raise rpms light should go off once rpms are raised, but that light never went out.

I thought ok, maybe the tractor needs a moment, so I left rpms at 1500 while I ran cable to tree top to be pulled by winch. When I got back to tractor, still both lights flashing. This went on for around 20 minutes. Now, parked regen light comes on as well as the other 2 lights and all 3 lights are flashing and now a beep alarm.

Great. Tractor and tier 4 is a piece of $#/+. So I put the tractor on the trailer, thinking engine is going to shut down on me, atleast I could haul it to dealer.

I gave the parked regen process a try and wa la, it worked. 20 minuter later it finished parked regen and back to work I went.

I dont know what to think of all this. It is working fine (tractor) but why didn't it do the auto regen while I still worked. I had to wait those 20 minutes while it parked regen. Did I do something wrong? Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get you all the details.

Last edited:
   / MX 5200 first regen #2  
I have a larger model but the regen cycle you describe sounds like the same as mine. I have 450 hours on mine and have gone through over 20 regens. I've never had the problem you describe. There is a difference in what my tractor has been doing during the auto regen. Its been under either heavy PTO load or high pull. It's never been working at less than 50% power. I've never done a parked regen but it's described in the operators manual so regen without being under load is possible but I know it takes heat to clean the DPF and if I am working hard so the regen temp is very close to operating temp, very little additional fuel is needed during a regen.

/ MX 5200 first regen #3  
My first regen happened a couple weeks ago on my L3301. It was idling outside and when I jumped on it to put it in my shed both the regen light and the increase rpm lights were flashing. I had to put the rpm's up to almost 2700 before the increase rpm light went out. I assume because the engine wasn't warm, it was just idling. After a few minutes I backed off the rpm's to about 2200 and the increase rpm light never came back on and the regen completed in about 20 minutes. I would suggest upping the rpm's until the increase rpm light goes out.

/ MX 5200 first regen
Well, I guess I will try to raise rpms up over 2000 and see if it will do a auto regen, but I just might as well do a parked regen because I can't do any work at those high of rpms for 20 minutes straight. The reason being is I need to do alot of forward reverse direction changes and pto on off. I don't think doing all that leaving the rpms over 2000 would be good on the clutch. Maybe if I was bush hogging in a wide open field, but I don't operate in many 20 minute full throttle situations.

Is it going to bother just doing parked regens instead of auto regens? A parked regen is only available at a more severe soot load in the dpf.

/ MX 5200 first regen #5  
While working with my tractor today I read the decal on the visor. If the regen light keeps flashing increase engine rpm until the flashing light goes out. In parked regen mode, it says that it will take over engine speed control and raise it as high as needed to complete the regen.

/ MX 5200 first regen
While working with my tractor today I read the decal on the visor. If the regen light keeps flashing increase engine rpm until the flashing light goes out. In parked regen mode, it says that it will take over engine speed control and raise it as high as needed to complete the regen.

This is how mine is as well. When I was trying to auto regen, I am surprised the raised rpms light did not go out when I reved it up over 2000 rpms. When I did the parked regen, the engine automatically took the rpms to 2200.

It's interesting that in the one post it was said he had to go to 2700 rpms before the raise rpms light went out. That is higher then the parked regen of 2200 rpms. I wonder what the difference is?

I will try to run my rpms up even higher next time and see if it will auto regen. Does auto regen work if say I run the rpms high enough when I am working the tractor for 10 minutes, then if I have to throttle down for say 5 minutes, the auto regen pauses, then if I got the rpms up high enough again for 10 minutes (20 minutes full regen) would the auto regen resume and finish?

/ MX 5200 first regen #7  
I only started my tractor to move it outside while i rearranged things in my garage. I assume because it was cold that it needed the rpm's so high. Hopefully next regen I'll actually be working it to see how it goes. Also I have a smaller engine, perhaps it revs higher?

/ MX 5200 first regen #8  
This is how mine is as well. When I was trying to auto regen, I am surprised the raised rpms light did not go out when I reved it up over 2000 rpms. When I did the parked regen, the engine automatically took the rpms to 2200. It's interesting that in the one post it was said he had to go to 2700 rpms before the raise rpms light went out. That is higher then the parked regen of 2200 rpms. I wonder what the difference is? I will try to run my rpms up even higher next time and see if it will auto regen. Does auto regen work if say I run the rpms high enough when I am working the tractor for 10 minutes, then if I have to throttle down for say 5 minutes, the auto regen pauses, then if I got the rpms up high enough again for 10 minutes (20 minutes full regen) would the auto regen resume and finish?

I believe it will stop the regen if the operating parameters fall out of range. I have had to stop during a regen to swap chopper boxes behind our forage chopper and there was no problem during that pause but the DPF was running quite hot before the regen started because while chopping I am running between 80% and 100% on the power meter. It's getting a good workout so a couple minute pause to swap forage wagons isn't much of a breather.