Dumb noobie move

/ Dumb noobie move #1  

millsan1

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 Cab, Volvo ECR40D Excavator
If it doesn't seem right, figure it out.

Was doing some work tonight and i could not get a good drive on some boulders I was trying to pick up.

I was going uphill, trying to get the boulders into the bucket, and the machine just would not make it happen.

Couldn't figure it out, but wrote it off to "maybe the hill is too steep and maybe the boulders are too heavy." even though I had moved these same boulders before.

After giving up and moving on, I headed down the driveway and noticed I was moving quickly. DOH! The machine was in high gear.

dumb noobie move.

/ Dumb noobie move #2  
If it doesn't seem right, figure it out.

Was doing some work tonight and i could not get a good drive on some boulders I was trying to pick up.

I was going uphill, trying to get the boulders into the bucket, and the machine just would not make it happen.

Couldn't figure it out, but wrote it off to "maybe the hill is too steep and maybe the boulders are too heavy." even though I had moved these same boulders before.

After giving up and moving on, I headed down the driveway and noticed I was moving quickly. DOH! The machine was in high gear.

dumb noobie move.

It sounds like you have discovered the relief valve in your Hydrostatic transission. It was always there just waiting to do its job... and you gave it something to do!:)

/ Dumb noobie move #3  
You do not need to be a noobie for this one millsan1. :)

/ Dumb noobie move #4  
My noobie move years ago was not checking to see if I was in 4wd before I started down my very steep wet grassy back yard that ends in a lake. We finally stopped at a flat area right before the water. I now never drive over the crest without glancing down at the 2-4wd lever.

/ Dumb noobie move #5  
Better to not be moving due to being in high gear than having the parking brake on.

/ Dumb noobie move #6  
I have been driving tractors for almost 50 years and I still do that.

/ Dumb noobie move #7  
OK, I guess my noobie move (I have been operating tractors for a long long time) came tonight. I was grading my gravel road after one heck of a storm today, or so the wife says.. Any way the road is washed out bad.. So I had parked my ballast barrel in the barn and had my scrape blade on. So anyway the rain started pretty hard and I headed back inside the barn but by the time I got it parked it was REALLY raining..

So, no problem I will just wait in the barn until it subsides a bit. The big door was open and I was watching the water come around the building and it was getting near to spilling over the threshhold, so I went to the ballast barrel and grabbed a shovel to stick out of the door and redirect the "lay of the land" a bit so the water would be re-directed.

Well coming around the side of the ballast barrel, I ran my shin into the draw pin. Since the barrel weighs 750 lbs and was setting firmly on the ground, it did not move, not even one bit.

So as I sit here typing this with an ice pack on my shin that now has a "goose egg" bigger than any goose ever laid.

It has been a while since I did something that stupid. Yes it was fairly dark in the barn, but I still knew it was there, and should not have done that.

Last edited:
   / Dumb noobie move #8  
I was pushing poison oak down the hill, lots of it. Maybe two acres or so. The tractor seemed to move slower than usual. I thought geez, it must be my imagination or my tractor just doesn't have the power it used to. It took a long time to clear that brush and about half way through I was thinking it's almost like a stick or something is caught under the pedal and not letting it go down all the way. When I finished, I got off the tractor and looked under the floor board. There was a stick in there that wasn't letting the pedal go down all the way.

/ Dumb noobie move
I was pushing poison oak down the hill, lots of it. Maybe two acres or so. The tractor seemed to move slower than usual. I thought geez, it must be my imagination or my tractor just doesn't have the power it used to. It took a long time to clear that brush and about half way through I was thinking it's almost like a stick or something is caught under the pedal and not letting it go down all the way. When I finished, I got off the tractor and looked under the floor board. There was a stick in there that wasn't letting the pedal go down all the way.

That actually made me LOL.

/ Dumb noobie move #10  
As mentioned above, wait until you leave the parking brake on... :eek:

The one that really got me on my BX was unknowingly knocking the gear lever halfway between rabbit and turtle as I dismounted on the off side, then spending 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't "go"?!?!? <sigh>