"Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #1  

TMR

Gold Member
Just noticed that the B2650 has a "floating" deck vs the B2601 which has a "Suspended" deck?

I believe the Floating deck rides on the ground on the deck wheels?...while the Suspended deck is essentially lowered to a desired mowing height and is suspended unless it hits a high spot where the deck wheels (anti-scalping) then prevent hitting the ground...but mostly supported from suspended linkage from above?

Seems to me that the Suspended gives you more choices? Perhaps you need to change deck wheel settings on the floating decks to alter your mowing height?

What are the benefits of the Floating deck set up??? Seems to me that the Suspended allows you more control of cut height while in the operator seat and actually mowing?

Do I see this correctly? Might actually move me from a B2650 (Floating deck) to a B2601 (Suspended deck)...basic stats are pretty close but the B2650 appears a bit larger and I would probably chose that if not for the deck???

Am I missing something here or am I on the right track by thinking I would prefer the Suspended deck choice of the B2601???

Also, still considering a $2K lawn tractor and not having a deck on the B Series at all. Only issue is two machines to trailer as well as it would be nice to put all mowing hours on tractor instead of lawn tractor. Could add a finishing mower which would work well for much of my mowing.

Thanks All...Tom R

P.S. Is there any difference in "ease" of removing and re-attaching the deck between the Suspended deck on the B2601 and the Floating deck on the B2650?? Seems like the Suspended deck attachment structure (i.e. dial adjustment et al) would be a bit more complicated than on the Floating deck?? Tom R

P.P.S. Another thought/question...I would assume that the "wheels" on a Floating deck would be much sturdier than those on a Suspended deck as the Floating wheels appear to be designed to ride directly on the ground setting the mowing height?...while the wheels on a Suspended deck are designed to only contact ground when hitting a "high" spot? Maybe they also swivel? Tom R

Last edited:
   / "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series
Bump...no experience or thoughts???

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #3  
I haven't used both so I can't say. I'm not sure either is a over arching reason to choose a tractor. I have B2620 that has the suspended deck. It works fine.

What did your dealer have to say about the tradeoffs.

I have B2620 that has the suspended deck. It works fine.

What did your dealer have to say about the tradeoffs.

Dealer looked confused about the difference.

I am more comfortable with a Suspended deck like your B2620. Just not sure if the Floating deck riding on the ground is a good thing? The B2650 has a Floating deck...the new B2601 has a Suspended deck.

Thanks...Tom R

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #5  
I don't know whether one is better than the other. I've only had the suspended decks on a couple different models. What criterion Kubota uses to select one over the other, I don't know either.

I'm happy with the suspended deck performance as well as the mounting and dismounting. I don't use the drive over method and am happy with just rotating the wheels to roll it under the tractor. Hooking up the drive shaft to the mid PTO can be a pain.

Having never had the deck that rides the ground, I can't comment on it.

After selecting the cutting height knob, one has to set the anti-scalp wheels accordingly. This will vary depending on your own choices.

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #6  
The only comment I can add is that years ago when I was a kid we had a riding mower with a floating deck (can't remember the brand) and it gave a noticeably nicer cut than hanging decks I used before and since. I remember it distinctly, because it was a big deal marketing wise and was an upgrade at the time. The floating deck would be better for uneven terrain or mowing low (for instance, bermuda or some other low-growing turfs) where a hanging deck is more prone to scalp.

To me, the tractors are different enough that other factors are more important. The 2650 is quite a bit bigger than the 2601, and has a much more capable loader. Both are good tractors, but size and capability are key differentiating factors. If smaller/lighter/narrower was important, the 2601 would be a better choice. On the other hand if you want a bigger more capable B (even has some overlap with the L series) the 2650 is the way to go.

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #7  
I have suspended deck on my B7500 . I like it the deck cuts well and is easy to remove . I do have to grease the wheels . The only complaint would be it is a chore to change the deck height , but I have it set at a height I like and don't change it often .

The only comment I can add is that years ago when I was a kid we had a riding mower with a floating deck (can't remember the brand) and it gave a noticeably nicer cut than hanging decks I used before and since. I remember it distinctly, because it was a big deal marketing wise and was an upgrade at the time. The floating deck would be better for uneven terrain or mowing low (for instance, bermuda or some other low-growing turfs) where a hanging deck is more prone to scalp.

To me, the tractors are different enough that other factors are more important. The 2650 is quite a bit bigger than the 2601, and has a much more capable loader. Both are good tractors, but size and capability are key differentiating factors. If smaller/lighter/narrower was important, the 2601 would be a better choice. On the other hand if you want a bigger more capable B (even has some overlap with the L series) the 2650 is the way to go.

Thanks S219...yes, the B2650 is about 15% larger than the B2601 in most data points...including weight and loader capacity...and dimensions in general. I am curious if other Kubotas use Floating decks...no one has commented that has a floating deck currently? I tend to cut some pretty thick and long field grass/weeds and sometimes keep the deck higher for a first pass...I guess you would have to adjust the deck wheel settings to adjust your cut?

As a non-tractor owner I a, not really sure if the slightly smaller dimensions would serve me better...some of my use would be in areas with lots of trees. I do like the extra weight of the B2650...but perhaps 48" attachments would work better with the slightly narrower B2601?...ie about cover the wheel track.

Either would probably be OK...I also may still decide to go with a separate lawn tractor of about $2K and skip the deck on the B...maybe add a finishing mower down the road a bit.

Thanks...Tom R

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #9  
We have a B2910 and the 72" floating deck that goes with it.

As has been mentioned, floating decks probably follow the ground contours a little more closely than a suspended deck would. OTOH, the floating deck is always in contact with the ground (if you have it down) ... and as a consequence of that, you probably have a little more noise and "feel" things a bit more ...

Personally, I find taking the MMM on/off and hooking it up to be a PITA ... the FEL always has to be removed to mow and connecting/disconnecting the PTO shaft is a hassle.

I would think a RFM would be easier to install/remove/hook up ...

If I had it to do over again, I'd put the money we spent on the MMM towards a dedicated mowing machine.

/ "Floating" vs "Suspended" Deck?...B Series #10  
Theoretically, the floating deck should yield a more even cut since the deck height is always relative to the ground. Simplicity uses a floating deck on its mowers and pushes it as a big selling point. Massey Ferguson lawn mowers are re-branded Simplicity machines.