Back Hoe Storage

/ Back Hoe Storage #1  

grnmtnboys

Tractor
BX25D-1
So transitioning from the back hoe to the three point on the BX25 for the next month or so, and the back hoe is going to be taking residence in the barn for the time being.

The manual states to apply a light coating of grease over the exposed tubes; just wondering what people use?

Thanks as always

/ Back Hoe Storage #2  
You could use oil or fluid film. Most folks don't do anything and I'm guessing that the more oil the more likely dust and dirt will stick to the coated surfaces. I used to take my bh65 off all winter and never coated it with anything. I kept in my barn uncovered.

/ Back Hoe Storage #3  
I cover mine with a couple old sheets. Don't oil anything. But it would be a good time to grease it so she will be ready when you want to use it... :)

/ Back Hoe Storage #4  
I would not worry about it if you are in a barn. I have left my BH off for months outside, just put a tarp over the controls. No rust yet, come to think of it my loader rods are exposed on several of my older tractors that have sat outside for years but they do leak a little so maybe that protects them. :)

/ Back Hoe Storage #5  
The manufacturer is concerned with rust so any anti rust preservative coating will be fine, gun grease, oil or a purchased aerosol preservative. Any dust that collects on the preservative is just there on the preservative surface and looks bad. Don't worry about dust/dirt since there is a coating between it and the metal. Wipe it off when it's time to go back into service.

/ Back Hoe Storage
Nice, I have more rags soaked in Rem Oil than my wife likes to think about; that should do the trick.

Thanks folks

/ Back Hoe Storage #7  
So transitioning from the back hoe to the three point on the BX25 for the next month or so, and the back hoe is going to be taking residence in the barn for the time being.

The manual states to apply a light coating of grease over the exposed tubes; just wondering what people use?

I use dirtbike spray chain lube - I keep cans of it around for both my dirtbikes and tractor snowblower auger chain drive. I give the piston tubes a quick shot of that stuff for long-term storage. Way less icky to apply than grease or oil.

/ Back Hoe Storage
I have a few cans of Bel-Ray kicking around too; I suppose I was concerned about what to use/not use with the seals, etc, but it sounds like I am good to go.

I appreciate all the answers and zero "been there done that did it better than you" attitude, which is why I enjoy the site so much.

/ Back Hoe Storage #9  
I don't have the ability to store my BH inside when its not on the tractor. It's stored outside. I usually grease all the fittings before I take it off and use spray grease on the exposed cylinders. Also cover the controls with a large plastic tote.