Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug #1  

mx1alex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I have an L3940 HST with cab w/ ~640 hours and there is oil (pretty sure it's hyrdaulic oil) coming out the Split pin plug. I have only had the tractor for a month or so and have only run it hard a couple of times. Both times when I go to park it I have noticed the oil leaking out. It's never been a lot of fluid but enough to make a mess on the floor. Maybe 3-4 ounces at most. But who knows how much is coming out when it's running.

Since the first time I noticed it I have been checking my fluids pretty regular and haven't seen a big loss of fluid anywhere. From reading some other posts on the subject it appears to be an input shaft seal that's probably gone bad and to be fixed the tractor needs to be split. So I have a few questions:

1. Is it something that needs to be fixed right away? Since it's losing very little fluid am I ok to let it go for now as long as I keep fluid levels right?

2. What kind of cost is it to have repaired at a dealership? I'm assuming splitting a tractor is a big ordeal and beyond my skill set.

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug #2  
I wouldn't fix it. Yes it will require the tractor be split into two to access the seal. I would verify that the vent for the engine and transmission are not plugged. I know with rear differentials on cars and trucks if the vent becomes plugged pressure will build up and force oil past a seal. Just keep an eye on your oil levels and something under the tractor to catch the oil and you shouldn't have a problem.

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug #3  
I posted on another similar thread, my L5740 had the same issue before 100 hours and it was fixed under warranty. The WSM shows the cab needs to be removed, but the shop foreman figured a way around doing that. It was several weeks before my dealer could work me in and I was told to keep running it and check the fluids.

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug
I wouldn't fix it. Yes it will require the tractor be split into two to access the seal. I would verify that the vent for the engine and transmission are not plugged. I know with rear differentials on cars and trucks if the vent becomes plugged pressure will build up and force oil past a seal. Just keep an eye on your oil levels and something under the tractor to catch the oil and you shouldn't have a problem.

Any idea where I would find the vent? I'm thinking that might be the case because it seems like the oil comes out all at once and then just stops. Like the pressure builds up to where it blows through the seal but then immediately stops once pressure is reduced.

Bump for the evening crowd.

bump for the morning crowd.

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug #7  
So just what the heck is the split pin? Never heard that term before. Been around tractors for 50 years.

Kim

It's little drain plug to drain water from the clutch housing. It has a little pin in it that when pushed up will let you know if there's water in there to be drained or not. I'd never heard of one either until I bough this Kubota.

leakything1.jpg

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug #9  
I can't tell you for sure where the vent is but on Kubota L3400/L3200/L3800 etc it is under the seat. Look for a little crooked black rubber "thingy" that looks like a shepards crook. BUT I doubt your vent is plugged, because if it was when your loader came down rapidly the dipstick would blow out. There is a lot of fluid that comes out of the lift cylinders pretty quick and the pressure would build in the "tank" rapidly. But it is worth a look.

On my Kioti I plugged up the vent with a machine screw to change out the hydraulic filter without much fluid loss, and forgot to take the screw out. I had the loader up and dropped it down. I watched the dipstick blow out of its tube. Whoops. forget to remove that vent obstruction.:shocked:

/ Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug #10  
Thanks. Never heard one called that either.

Kim