New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for?

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #1  

1in9twist

Tractor
Kubota 4760, 040 Excavator
Greetings! New member/longtime lurker.

Ordered a new Kubota 4760 HST. Including Landpride Front grapple, bush hog, rear ground scraper with 2 extra rear remotes for hydraulic tilt, etc. The tires will be filled with rim guard.

I have driven/used tractors, backhoes a little, but am by no means a seasoned operator and am reaching out to folks to help educate me. I recently purchased a 82 acre tree farm. 1/2 of it is on a slope (Fir trees) and the other half is flat and planted with Pine trees. I guess the first thing on the list is to reclaim the area around the house and shop from blackberrys, tons of poison oak and many windfalls/tree debris.

My main concern would be finding out the hard way how much of a slope is too much and laying it over. Is there a rule of thumb for angles? I am aware of watching out for a stump on the high side/hole on the low side and keeping the bucket/grapple low.

What else to watch out for? Tractor vulnerabilities? Safety issues?

I have identified a couple points on the sides and underside where I will fabricate some skid plates/protectors.

I am old enough where I tire of learning everything the hard way. :eek:

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #2  
I can't offer any advice but welcome to TBN and congratulations on the new tractor.

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #3  
As you probably know, the Grand Ls are manufactured and assembled in Japan. The moulded in cup holder probably fits Japanese standard containers.

The only US container that fits snugly is a plastic 1-qt container of Gatorade.

The Grand Ls are all stable platforms because of their weight, large tires and wide stance.

Greetings! The first thing on the list is to reclaim the area around the house and shop from blackberrys, tons of poison oak and many windfalls/tree debris.

I commend a $400 Ratchet Rake bucket attachment to you. Available through the T-B-N store with convenient UPS delivery.

Before long you will want a Utility Vehicle and a dumping trailer.

FINALLY, SOMEONE WHO BOUGHT ENOUGH TRACTOR IN THE BEGINING​

Attachments

• DSC00341.jpg
    DSC00341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
  • DSC00342.jpg
    DSC00342.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
   / New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #4  
If it is not to late with the dealer, get the 3rd rear remote, get 2 of them with the float function. You did not mention a 3rd function for your grapple, if none, get it, you will not be sorry. :thumbsup:

1 3RD FUNCTION VALV KIT$899.00 from Kubota.

For your rear ground scraper, what type? Rear blade, box blade, land plane grading scraper?? :confused: Whatever type it is, get as heavy as you can afford. Weight is your friend when it comes to most grading.

You have a very nice piece of equipment on order, enjoy. ;)

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for?
If it is not to late with the dealer, get the 3rd rear remote, get 2 of them with the float function. You did not mention a 3rd function for your grapple, if none, get it, you will not be sorry. :thumbsup:

1 3RD FUNCTION VALV KIT$899.00 from Kubota.

For your rear ground scraper, what type? Rear blade, box blade, land plane grading scraper?? :confused: Whatever type it is, get as heavy as you can afford. Weight is your friend when it comes to most grading.

It isn't too late.

What implement/action would the 3rd remote on the rear be for?

I am getting the 3rd function for the (Open/close function for the grapple. It is this one. SGC1560 SGC15 Series Claw Grapples | Land Pride

The ground scraper is this one. GS15 Series Grading Scrapers | Land Pride

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for?
I commend a $400 Ratchet Rake bucket attachment to you. Available through the T-B-N store with convenient UPS delivery.

FINALLY, SOMEONE WHO BOUGHT ENOUGH TRACTOR IN THE BEGINING​

That ratchet rake is pretty cool. I was planning on using the teeth of the grapple for the raking function. Is there something the ratchet rake is better at that than the grapple?

FINALLY, SOMEONE WHO BOUGHT ENOUGH TRACTOR IN THE BEGINNING[/CENTER].

Wouldn't have it any other way. :thumbsup:

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #7  
Welcome. A couple of things to consider. Read the manual and pay attention to the break in info as that will set the stage for the reliability and longevity of your equipment. When carrying a load, LOW and SLOW is the key to safety. There are many other things to consider but that will get you started for the first day.

Good luck with the machine!

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #8  
Congrats on the new tractor. Since you're working on slopes I would have the dealer set the rear tires as wide as possible and get them filled with a non corrosive fluid. The grand L's are very nice machines and it takes a little time to get the full use of some of the features, take your time and use the different features as some of them are very useful for certain tasks.

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #9  
What MtnViewRanch said, after using so-so box scrapers most of my life, I bought TnT and a heavy 1100 pound scraper with hydraulic rippers. On hills, I've found additional weight in the form of extra wheel weights are really nice, I just added them last year. Did you have them add bucket hooks? I've also added an expanded metal grill guard.

I use one of these to clean my screens and am going to fab one with holes in the sides to fit better between the radiator and condenser.

Enjoy your new machine and equipment.

/ New 4760. What do I need to know, watch out for? #10  
It isn't too late.

What implement/action would the 3rd remote on the rear be for?

I am getting the 3rd function for the (Open/close function for the grapple. It is this one. SGC1560 SGC15 Series Claw Grapples | Land Pride

The ground scraper is this one. GS15 Series Grading Scrapers | Land Pride

I would bump up to the GS25 series. 3 rear hydraulics for top & tilt and any implement that might have a cylinder on it, such as hydraulic actuated rippers on a box blade or hydraulic angle on a rear blade or any other implement that might have a hydraulic on it.