New BX23 HST problem?

/ New BX23 HST problem? #1  

Phrede

Tractor
BX23
On my new BX23 I have noticed that when in high range that the engine does not sound to be under much load when the tractor stops moving (no wheel spin) when using the FEL. If I switch to low range then I can go on.

This acts just like a clutch slipping on a manual transmission. Every thing is up to temp and fluid levels are ok. About 10 hours on this machine.

I was expecting the engine to dog down if not enough Hp and a lower gear was needed, but not the case here.

Does this sound normal? What kind of RPM drop should I expect? Is it possible to stall the engine?

/ New BX23 HST problem? #2  
Same here. The HST high range is great for transiting from place to place, but appears to be relatively "gutless" as far as doing work is concerned. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I dug a small ditch to improve drainage near my garden after I got the BX23 last Fall. After thinking about it, I realized that it was a perfect Tractor Trap, and I would probably drop a wheel in it sooner or later while bush hogging. I've been using the BH to widen out the ditch and give it sloped sides -- doing a little at a time and experimenting with techinque and shape. Today I tried to drive through it to see if I had it shaped properly, and promptly caught the lower part of the BH frame on the ground. In high range the HST just went "waaaaaaa" and nothing else happened. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif When I shifted to low range, the front wheels pulled the tractor over the hump and I drove out with no further problems.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ New BX23 HST problem? #3  
My BX22 is the same..... I have never been able to stall the engine, but I have spun the wheels a few times. I wouldn't be concerned, it sounds normal to me. I have been able to dig into a pile of dirt and not been able to lift it, and I have come to believe that is also normal. The BX is a good tractor, but don't try to compare it to some of its larger relatives. I think of mine as a dwarf..... It looks like its big brother, but doesn't have his strength, but does have strength in relationship to its size. If you don't expect too much of it , it will surprise you with what it actually can do.

/ New BX23 HST problem?
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure this was normal. Still learning my tractor.

/ New BX23 HST problem? #5  
I wonder whose tractor has the correct operation. Granted, mine is 15hp, but still - when in high and pushing hard against something the engine Definitely Does sound like it is under a big load. I do not believe that there's enough resistance to stall the engine at all though the RPM is cut in half and it starts lugging which tells me to back off. I've read somewhere (??) that the transmission will get hot if you are in too high of a gear on an HST. If doing a lot of pushing, use Low. If mainly travelling or mowing, use High. The exception is when I'm pushing snow with the FEL I always use High because I can keep up 8mph for the most part with the lightweight snow we get around here.

/ New BX23 HST problem? #6  
I have only stalled my BX22 once when trying to move a 3000 lb pile of dried concrete in high gear. I put it in low and it smoked but it moved it. Also need 4x4 since they was now way "I" was moving this pile.

So it is normal.

I also use high gear for snow under 8 inches unless it is wet.

/ New BX23 HST problem? #7  
It is most likely normal... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I should make it a goal to test this on both my B2910 and Bx2200 this spring when it will be more fun to be outside. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last fall I did not believe it should be so, but it seems it is.

Prior to that, I had few time stalled my B2910 out when I was digging into a pile of dirt. I was taking a good bite and moving forward at the same time.

That convinced me that a hst was like a gear transmission...and that if I loaded it and the wheels did not spin, I would stall it out.

Members here convinced me that there is a pressure relief valve on the HST side, along with a relief valve on the charge side of the HST. I guess this is true.

Still, I don't know for sure. Probably should spring for the Maintenance manuals for both tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

From the sound of it, what you are experiencing may be normal. I wish I could believe 100 percent!

Somehow I don't want to believe that I could stall my engine dead digging into a pile of dirt, but at the same time cause the tractor to just stop moving when going up too steep a grade... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Still...I guess that is life in the HST lane... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New BX23 HST problem?
Maybe I wasn't clear.... I can not spin the wheels in high gear on gravel in 4WD and the engine does not sound very loaded.

With stalling, I meant loading the engine to the point it dies. Not something I plan on doing, but just an indication of how "stiff" the transmission is.

/ New BX23 HST problem? #9  
Phrede—You do not have a problem. Correct me if I am wrong but if the front axle do NOT turn the back wheels can’t. You either get front and back spinning or nothing.

Yes, I have stalled/overloaded the engine. As normal, you will spin / over load easier in high then low. I have also almost died in low; but, just moved at about 1 mph.

/ New BX23 HST problem?
My point here is that I can't stall the engine or spin the wheels in high gear. I just sits there, nothing moving and only minor sounds of load on the engine.

If you can stall your engine in high than why can't I? Thats why I think there might be a HST problem. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now is the time to get it fixed between snow and mowing season.