BX1870 vs GR21120

/ BX1870 vs GR21120 #1  

kubota4me

Silver Member
Tractor
An orange one
(cross post from Kubota Lawn & Garden) didn't know if this was permissible, if not, accept my apologies.

Here's my scenario...have a L4400 with bush hog for really heavy stuff but lack a finish mower for tighter areas. Have 16.4 acres of prairie and some woodland. L4400 has performed admirably. I have a large fenced in garden with fruit trees and Aronia bushes and the L4400 is just too big in the garden and close to the house. Saw my dealer yesterday and he wants to order me the GR2120 tomorrow. After reading some articles on the internet yesterday, I called him and told him I was waivering between the GR2120 and the BX1870. He tried talking me out of the BX for several reasons. He said the BX doesn't turn tight like the GR does. He said both are similar in price but the BX doesn't include a deck which costs about $2000 extra??? I don't need a loader, but I do want a dependable tractor or mower.

Has there been a lot more issues with the GR than the BX? Is the turning circle a problem or that much wider on the BX than the GR and would that be a huge factor in an area with semi dwarf fruit trees? Is the build quality that much better with the BX?

The dealer pointed out that I would be giving up 3 horsepower with the BX but that doesn't sound like much. I'm not interested in spending more money for a BX2370. Just comparing the GR2120 with the BX1870. Thanks for your comments and insight that will aid me in my decision making!

/ BX1870 vs GR21120 #2  
I have a GR2120 and a BX24. The reason I got the GR is that my lawn is on a hillside. The GR has FWD/AWD with "glide steer" that lets it make a tight turn w/out tearing up the lawn while still putting power on 3 wheels. That keeps me from sliding down into the blackberry bushes. A real plus compared to my old green 2wd thing.

I also have a mini-orchard and the ROPS on the BX would make it impossible to mow near the semi and full-dwarf trees.

OTOH, if you ever want to do anything besides mowing, the BX would be much more flexible.

Not sure I'm helping much :( If you have any other specific question, I'll do my best...

Z.

/ BX1870 vs GR21120 #3  
That's a tough decision. I don't have any experience with a GR2120. I do however have a bx2360 that I absolutely enjoy using. I've never had any problems with the turning radius of the bx and in truth have always thought it had a pretty darned tight radius for a small tractor. If the GR2120 has a tighter turning radius, then that's pretty darned tight. My thoughts are:

1) If you ever think you might need the ability to use ground engaging implements (tiller, plow, box blade, FEL, snow removal) in a tight space then the 1860 will give you room to grow. It sounds like the L might be a bit too big to fit into some of the areas in your property......

2) OTOH if all you are looking for is mower I'm sure the GR2120 will perform well. In fact I might look for a zero turn or something along those lines that might be a bit more affordable than the GR2120 and or BX1860.

I dunno, its easier to spend someone else's money :laughing:...... Heck my wife is trying to talk me into a UTV so that she can get around the property. Best of luck with the decision. I'm interested to see which way you go with this as I am somewhat on the other side of the issue. I'm content with my bx for mowing and working in tight spaces however I could want for more power and size for some of the projects I would like to accomplish.

/ BX1870 vs GR21120 #4  
I bought a GR2120 then returned it for a BX2370 because the GR could not drive up my hills. I love Kubota, but I think the GR is a lemon. The GR is a really neat idea that Kubota just didn't do well.

/ BX1870 vs GR21120 #6  
The GR problems are well documented. Even with the "problems" worked out in past series, the hydro still gives up after a certain slope. That diesel engine is WAY more capable that the rest of the mower. With the hydro working as it is, you never get to leverage all of the diesel's power.

With 4wd, that thing should be able to go up anything (or at least spin the tires when losing traction) when just the mower and rider. (I don't expect it to pull or push anything.)

Everything worked out fine for me though. A BX was better suited for me anyway.

/ BX1870 vs GR21120 #7  
Interesting. I haven't experienced that. Don't know if something's different with my GR or maybe my hills aren't steep enough. Said hills would make my JD 425 slide down backwards, so they seem pretty steep to me...

I don't doubt what you're saying, just wondering how to duplicate the problem.

Regards,
Z.

/ BX1870 vs GR21120
I switched gears and did something different. I bought a new BX2670 with 60" deck with valve controls for later implements without the loader. Already have the loader on the L4400 for heavy-handed lifting. Too much orange in the garage. May have to move the Landpride bush hog out to make room for it though. Dealer sold me up, but he said one thing I've always believed in.....you can always use the extra ponies under the hood, but if you don't have them to start with you are out of luck if you need them. Thanks all of you for your replies. Can't wait to plop my butt down on that seat! Wife didn't like driving the L4400HST too much. Maybe she'll want to drive this and do some mowing. She drives the RTV900 and enjoys that. Personally, I love the big equipment and wished the L4400 was a few sizes bigger.