BX2200 HST get HOT?

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #1  

leadslingingdaddy

Tractor
BX2200
Great site, been wanting a BX for a while and now that I have one and used it for some time, I have an issue I'm trying to address...

While mowing the HST get really hot as to were I can smell it. The fan is present and working. I make sure that the lift arm is in the middle position after lifting or lowering the deck.

Could it be the screen getting plugged, or a change in fluids and filter need to be done?

Really noticeable when trying to go uphill as it slows down and really works hard to keep moving...To where I put it in LOW then it will pull itself up....

Thanks for any advice as to where to start looking...

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #2  
Make sure that all fluids are full, the rad and screen are clean. Remember that the hst pedal is not an accelerator. When going up a hill, try letting off the pedal a bit or if you are if you are at half pedal let the tranny catch up to the work. It seems counterintuitive but it works. Also, make sure the parking brake is off. Not trying to be a wise guy but I would hate to tell you the number of times I thought something was wrong and in reality it was the brakes!

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #3  
Mine won't pull a hill very well in high range either, I'd say thats normal. You don't have one of those point and shoot thermometers do you? You could get some actual readings to see how hot its getting.

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #4  
:welcome: to TBN. Not sure what your hill looks like, but keep in mind that most tasks should probably be done in low gear. I have a 20+ degree hill and mine won't even begin to climb it in high.

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #5  
Remember that the hst pedal is not an accelerator. When going up a hill, try letting off the pedal a bit or if you are if you are at half pedal let the tranny catch up to the work. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

+1 regarding this advice. Symptoms sound very much like an HST operating technique issue. If you're working on a hill of any size, drop into L on the ascent. Also make sure the radiator is clean of clippings and other debris. Rinsing the vanes out periodically is always good.

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #6  
For what it is worth, I spent a lot of time over the winter removing lawn debris and what not from the cooling fins on the transmission itself. Check to see that the fins are exposed and not mucked up with stuff

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #7  
You should be mowing in turtle mode.
Make sure brake is off (easy to forget).
Fluids are up to proper level (when was it last changed?).
Mower bearings are well greased.

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #8  
Welcome to TBN, leadslingingdaddy (nice handle).
The fan is present and working.
Are all of the blades still attached & still full length?
Chaff screen cleared?
Water pump working? - point & shoot thermometer, like dodge man Dave mentioned, will help answer this one and thermostat, too, if it has one.

/ BX2200 HST get HOT? #9  
:welcome: to TBN. Not sure what your hill looks like, but keep in mind that most tasks should probably be done in low gear. I have a 20+ degree hill and mine won't even begin to climb it in high.

20% is pretty steep - that's like expert ski run steep. My BX2200 climbs a ~25% grade (6ft up in ~25-30ft) with no problem - doesn't look steep in the attached pic but it feels steep going up. My worst issue is the rears breaking loose and burning a stripe in the grass up the hill...and that is in high, pedal mashed to the floor, with MMM running.

I've been meaning to look for the HST fan - no clue if it is still intact.

Attachments

• DSCN0028xx.jpg
    DSCN0028xx.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 152
   / BX2200 HST get HOT? #10  
I did specify degrees, not percent. I measured it at about 22 degrees on the steepest part while parked across it. Pucker factor is pretty high with the fel on, not so bad naked.