BX Steering issue

/ BX Steering issue #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
Yesterday while mowing with my BX22 MMM, I took a short break. When I restarted & took off again, all seemed normal until I tried to turn. The steering wheel turned just fine but the wheels did not respond. Well, they did, but just barely. I started back to the barn to park & try to trouble shoot, moving very slowly. The steering wheel might go around 5+ times & the front wheels just barely moved. Using the little steering that I had, I got off to shut the gate. When I got back on, my steering was back, no problem. Go figger.

Anyone have this happen? Any idea what was/is wrong?

I got rained out yesterday anyway & finished today without any problem.

Thanks

/ BX Steering issue #2  
Check your trans fluid level. If its ok your BX is probably in the latter stage of useful life of the piston seal in the steering cyl. Its an Oring and slowly wears down until fluid starts bypassing it at around 600 hrs. Cheap to replace but a bit of a hassle the 1st time as you learn how. If it happens again, move the steering wheel very quickly. That gets the oring to seal ... you can nurse it along for a while, but it gradually gets worse.

/ BX Steering issue
Thanks Spyderlk. I'll check the fluid - - not going out this afternoon till rain stops.

I am a little past the 600 hours you mention. See attached photo.

Attachments

• Kuboto Hour Meter June 15 2015.jpg
    Kuboto Hour Meter June 15 2015.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 222
   / BX Steering issue #4  
Yeah, Im at 2200 on the BX1500. ... On the 3rd oring change tho. Your model may be later and have a better spec on cyl bore finish. ... Or maybe we do more steering movements in our usage. :confused3:

/ BX Steering issue #5  
I think you problem is the Hydro cylinder has worn. Our first BX 2200 did a similar thing. It is a cheap fix. I took steer cylinder to a machine shop who "repacked" it for $65. No more problems till we traded for for BX2670 with loader

Last edited:
   / BX Steering issue #6  
You werent holding down the 3pt lift lever by accident? Could have be causing the fluid to bypass. If it acts up again, check the cylinders.

/ BX Steering issue #7  
I think xtruckerbob has it right. I had the same happen on my 2660, only it came about a little more slowly. Replace the seals in your steering cylinder will probably do it.

/ BX Steering issue #8  
Check your trans fluid level. If its ok your BX is probably in the latter stage of useful life of the piston seal in the steering cyl. Its an Oring and slowly wears down until fluid starts bypassing it at around 600 hrs. Cheap to replace but a bit of a hassle the 1st time as you learn how. If it happens again, move the steering wheel very quickly. That gets the oring to seal ... you can nurse it along for a while, but it gradually gets worse.

I think xtruckerbob has it right. I had the same happen on my 2660, only it came about a little more slowly. Replace the seals in your steering cylinder will probably do it.
It is a single oring that causes it. The end/rod seals last a long time in comparison.

/ BX Steering issue
Thanks all. Currently in the shop - - they said it was a simple fix, as you say. Will let you know. Pretty much nothing is a simple fix at the Kubota dealer.

/ BX Steering issue #10  
I have the same issue and hoping to fix it myself. I have the seal kit and taken the cylinder completely off my tractor. I cannot figure out how to take it apart to replace the seals. Could someone explain the best/easiest way to get it apart? Thanks