Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior #1  

kcoburn

Bronze Member
Tractor
5240HSTC and B7610
I recently bought a used B7610 with about 300 hours. It's equipped with a loader and MMM. The hydrostat will occasionally "upshift", without moving the pedal, as though it was an automatic transmission selecting the next higher gear. The ground speed will increase slightly, maybe 5%. I also have an L5240 with hydro and have never experienced anything similar with it. Is this a "normal" behavior or should I be concerned about "impending doom" ?
An unrelated question. The PTO shaft cover has a hole for a bolt to retain it, but I don't have the bolt. My guess is it's a 6MM about 1/2" long. I've tried a standard 6mm.It will turn about 1 1/2 turns, then starts to hang up. Either there's a nick in the threads in the hole, or it's a different thread count. I'll bet any of the B7--- models have the same PTO shaft cover. Would anyone happen to know the bolt size before I run a 6mm tap into the hole and bung up the threads?

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior #2  
I would want to know if and when the filters and hyd. oil were changed . Things don't sound normal to me , but I am new to the hydrostat tranny .

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior #3  
Never had a hydro "upshift or lurch by itself". Hate to say it but that does not sound good. Easy stuff first like fluid and filters.

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior
The dealer where I bought it says all fluids and filters were changed at 255 hrs

As I think about it, I wonder if they cleaned the strainer. It could be "starving" the hydro a little, then clearing up causing the surge. Does that make sense?

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior #6  
Do the Rpm's jump up when it "up shifts"? Have you checked the fuel filter and air filter? That's what I would start with. Try to fix/ check the simple things first. I also agree with it possibly being a strainer issue.

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior #7  
I have a B7610 with perhaps 900 hours on it now. LOTS of bucket, loader, and blade work.....LOTS.......NO that is NOT a normal situation. Please answer all the questions above to help us.
I think, even though the dealer did it, a fluid and filter change would be worth it for sure. Using the CORRECT Kubota recommended filters and fluid. I also go along with KCOBURN's suggestion above. Something is going on for sure. Dealers make mistakes, so that is the first place to start. What does the former owner have to say???

By the way, the factory advises 90W or SUD2 in the front end/hubs. SUD2 weeped out around a couple of knuckle seals. Changed over to 90W and any leakage is gone............. God bless.......Dennis

/ Kubota B7610 Hydro Behavior #8  
As far as the bolt size, it should be metric I would think. If you could just buy some bolts of 6mm with different size thread pitches and see which one fits. Or, you might also be able to actually order that specific bolt by looking it up on an illustrated parts list from either the KUBOTA or Messick's website

Parts breakdown doesn't show the bolt, just the plastic cover itself. I'll take your suggestion and see if I can find a couple of 6mm bolts with different pitches.

I bought the tractor from the dealer and they're reluctant to hook me up with the former owner. I'm going to check with them to confirm that they did clean the strainer when they changed fluid. I hate to dump and replace it with only 30-40 hours on it. It's a lot of work, dropping the deck, etc. And it'll be over $100 for the Super UDT2 and filter.
Thanks for the " heads- up" on the gear oil vs UDT in the front gear case oil. I did that on my L5240. This B7610 was already changed over to gear oil.