Small cracks on rear tires

/ Small cracks on rear tires #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
Nearing 7.5 years old and both back tires are showing some cracking near the rims, can I just put in some tubes and get some additional years out of them?

/ Small cracks on rear tires #2  
Yes you can put tubes in them to extend the life. Years? Maybe but watch the existing cracks as the tube can poke through. If that happens, you can get the crack patched and it will last some time. I did that on my front tires until the cracks got larger than the patches. Had to eventually get new fronts. I think I got roughly 15 years out of them.

/ Small cracks on rear tires #3  
I had some Firestone tires on an old tractor that the tread is falling off due to dry rot but the tubes are keeping them aired up. I bet it was more than 10 years like that before the cords in the sidewall in one of them finally split and the tube started bulging through. Since they were in such bad shape I replaced them. If the tread is good another option would be to find someone who can fill them with foam.

/ Small cracks on rear tires #4  
I have a 24 yr. old tractor that's had small cracks for the last 10 yrs. no tubes and still no leaks try and keep them out of the sun when parked.

/ Small cracks on rear tires #5  
Are they leaking? Rubber outside the cord is for protection and traction. Rubber inside the cord is for sealing. We have literally hundreds of tires on our tractors, combines and implements. The oldest ones I know are on our combines with the oldest set now 40 years old, lots of surface cracks, and still holding air. The only ones I know have tubes are the 12 tires on our 2 Gators which both started having flats within the first year - and no cracks.

/ Small cracks on rear tires
No not leaking air at all. Basically just look like surface cracks now i really inspected them, guess i will let it ride until they do start to leak and add tubes. Foam filled sounds good but dont know where I would be able to go to do that. Tire tread is same as the day I got it, never been on a hard surface road or surface with it.

/ Small cracks on rear tires #7  
Nearing 7.5 years old and both back tires are showing some cracking near the rims, can I just put in some tubes and get some additional years out of them?

Those tires are good for another 15 years with or without tubes - you don't have to start worrying until the cracks get ~1/8" wide - you should see my rear tires...eeeeeeewwwwwww. Park it in the shade to prevent further cracking - the sun is what causes it.