L225DT idler gear for fwd loose on its shaft

/ L225DT idler gear for fwd loose on its shaft #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
Need some help with a neighbor's L225DT that makes gear noise in 4wd. Took off the side gearbox and found the idler gear inside the case is very loose on its shaft - it's center needle bearings are missing - likely disintegrated and in the bottom of the case. The gear is not broken but it's burnished from running with poor alignment.

Unfortunately the WSM doesn't cover the DT too well. So I'd like to find somebody with experience if possible. The parts are #67 thru #71 on the trans parts diagrams attached. The short shaft is located in the front of the differential case. If the tractor is separated at that joint, is the shaft accessible without taking the drive housings off? ? Anybody BTDT? Thanks, Dick B

Attachments

• L225 counter shaft.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 73
  • L225 transmission gears.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
   / L225DT idler gear for fwd loose on its shaft
Poking around the net's related links brought me to an older shop manual download that covers the L225DT. It has enough detail to confirm that only a split at the rear of the transmission is needed to replace the range countershaft and fwd idler. Another bit of luck is that a used gear and shaft were available and have been ordered. So its looking like the L225DT may get back in business for short money and some hours of wrenching. Dick B.

Last edited:
   / L225DT idler gear for fwd loose on its shaft
A few pics of the job - more details here.

Attachments

• rear section.JPG
    rear section.JPG
    706.4 KB · Views: 107
  • front section.JPG
    front section.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 121
  • old parts.JPG
    old parts.JPG
    711.5 KB · Views: 122
  • range gears.JPG
    range gears.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 140
   / L225DT idler gear for fwd loose on its shaft #4  
Thanks for keeping us updated and for the pics. I couldn't help you, but you may have just helped someone in the future.

I would sure hate to find that crud in pic three in my engine/transmission (or anywhere else!). :thumbsup: