Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #1  

PA-Kubota

Tractor
2008 BX2350
Got a new trailer and would like to know what's needed and how to properly tie-down my BX2350 w/FEL and MMM? pictures would be great along with what type of straps are needed.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #2  
Get the 3 inch yellow ratchet type strap, cut the long end of the strap to about 12 feet (I think they are 27 feet when you by them and you will never need the extra length) Place one around the bucket so that when you tighten it it pulls the tractor forward, put the other through the frame between the rear wheels so that when you tighten it it pulls the tractor backwards. Set the tractor's parling brake when you load the tractor and you hould be good to go.

2 inch traps will work too and be less expensive as it dosen't take much to fray the webbing.

The DOT says the combined WLL of the tie down must be more than 50% of the weight carried. Not sure what the BX weighs, lets say 2000 pounds so the straps need to be rated at a minimum of 500 pounds each.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #3  
I don't like to use the bucket as a tie down point on any tractor, relying on something hydraulically operated will give you some movement. It's better to run the tiedown around the front bumper or the front axle. I use chains to secure my New Holland TC40 with ratcheting binders and put one through the front bumper (that would be used for suitcase weights and is part of the frame) two around the rear axles, one on each side.

Be careful running the straps though wheels also, the will fray on the sharp edges. I used to use straps but I feel a lot safer with chains, although the chains and binders are a lot more expensive.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer
I'm close to tractor supply so if someone could provide the product numbers being used that also would help.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #5  
   / Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #6  
I'm also in PA and just bought new binders and chain earlier this month. PennDOT rules for hauling small machines are somewhat vague. I'm not a lawyer but recently went through the regs and here's my take on what they say...

Non-commercial under 10,000 pound machine - it needs to be "generally secured". So basically it's up to you. However, consider what PennDOT considers secure for a commercial 10,000+ pound machine which needs a chain at each corner of the machine (fronts with min WLL of 50% machine weight, rears with min WLL of 80% machine weight). You also need separate chain or straps for any attachments or hydraulic arms (like a loader). So for a tractor / loader set up, you need 5 chains or straps and 5 binders. (there are ways to do it with less chains if your chains are long... i.e. a long chain with two sections that are isolated from each other (loose links in between) with separate binders is considered 2 chains.

I would not use straps even though they are legal simply because they cut to easily and loose strength in sunlight.

Per the law you can generally secure it however you wan. However, here is what I would do for your set up (I do the same but with heavier chain in the rear which you don't need). Buy two or three 16 foot 5/16" link Grade 70 chain with hooks on the ends (this is overkill). Buy five 5/16" binders. Go from the back corners of your trailer through your drawbar mount and use a binder on each side to make it two separate chains. Do the same thing in the front going to the front of the frame. Then put the last chain over the loader (or you may want to use a strap for this so it doesn't scratch your paint). If you use chain and store them dry Grade 70 seems to last just about forever, especially since 5/16" is overkill for your needs. If you go with straps you will need to replace them when they weaken but how will you know when that is? The chain and binders will cost you a bit up front, but can last forever with care and at least you know your machine is secure if the worst happens.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #7  
   / Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #8  
I agree with mikesee about using straps. But I use 4 separate straps on the tractor - i.e., one each left and right, front and rear. But do yourself a $40.00 favor and buy 4 of these axle straps, which are the handiest things I've bought in a long time.

SmartStraps Axle Strap — 21in.L x 2in.W, 10,000-Lb. Capacity, Black, Model# 855 | Auto Lock Buckle Tie-Down Straps| Northern Tool + Equipment

Instead of trying to figure out a way to secure a ratchet strap around an axle or other attachment point, just drape these over your axles and hook your strap through the ends. Easy peasy.

You also need to strap down any implements, whether attached to the tractor or not.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #9  
I used to use the big straps on my bx25 but I had two of them break in the middle of no where. Luckily I was hauling it in my dump trailer so I could get it home with no straps. From then on all I will use is chains on the actual tractor, a strap across the loader bucket, and one across the implement. Might be overkill but the tractor stays put now.

/ Proper way to tie-down BX2350 to utility trailer #10  
Remember, no matter what system you choose, you are responsible for any damages that might arise from an improperly secured load. Better check your vehicle insurance to make sure you are covered. In today's society, the lawyers would make hash out of someone who caused damages from a bad load.
Make sure the tires and undercarriage of the tractor are clean and free of debris.