New BX with drive-off mower deck

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
All:

Don't know if anyone else reported on this, but I thought I would share what I saw today...

I was at my local Kubota dealer today and saw a new BX2670-1 with the new drive-off mower deck. The mechanic came out and did a demo for a prospective buyer.

I studied it a while and see how it all works. The tractor is unchanged -- the mower deck is the only difference. Well, the PTO shaft is different, but nothing else on the tractor. Basically, there is a sub-frame between the mower deck and the tractor. Think of it like a 3ph quick hitch. The sub-frame connects to the tractor via the normal lift arms and a slightly different nose piece. The mower deck has some pins that catch the sub-frame. The sub-frame has a mechanism to quickly release the deck. The sub-frame also has the pto shaft quick-release which disconnects the shaft from the gear box and not the tractor. (The pto shaft stays with the tractor and sub-frame when you drive off the deck.) There are also two sets of ramps that deploy (manually) that are mounted on top of the plastic outboard pulley guards. The two rear deck wheels get flipped up to take pressure off of them while driving off.

Here are my thoughts...

This drive-off deck -- for me anyway -- is strictly a "try to keep up with the competition" thing and doesn't really server much of a useful purpose. I can unhook my deck faster than the drive-off (when on a flat concrete floor anyway). For those that don't like to get off of the tractor and get on your knees, well this doesn't fix that. Nothing is done in the operator station -- everything still unhooks underneath. There are more steps to unhook this deck than the normal one... and you are still getting down on your kneed to unhook stuff.

The pto shaft mechanism is probably the only benefit... of course I have never had a problem dealing with mine. I never understood the issues people have with it.

Anyway, that is all I can think of. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #2  
My PTO is no problem either. I get it on the spindle, then use the palm of my hand to stabilize it, while I pull back the ring with my fingers. It slides right on, sometimes needing a little wiggle, but it's not near as bad as people make it out to be. You want difficult, try pulling back the delta ring on an AR15 without any tools.

If the MMM gets difficult, I will sell it and buy a rear one. Problem solved, and no need to go green.

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #3  
I've always found taking off the left rear tire to give plenty of room to work with to get the PTO shaft on is best.
Takes an extra couple of minutes, but makes it much easier

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #4  
A guy posted a video on You Tube showing how it works, I'll be keeping my old BXs.

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #5  
Thanks for posting and the info - Think my old style will be just fine!

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck
I've always found taking off the left rear tire to give plenty of room to work with to get the PTO shaft on is best.
Takes an extra couple of minutes, but makes it much easier

Oh my...

I just reach under and slip it off/on. Takes about 5 seconds.

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #7  
It makes it alot easier to take pto out of mid mount range. I used to struggle with it before i did that.

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #8  
My PTO is no problem either. I get it on the spindle, then use the palm of my hand to stabilize it, while I pull back the ring with my fingers. It slides right on, sometimes needing a little wiggle, but it's not near as bad as people make it out to be. You want difficult, try pulling back the delta ring on an AR15 without any tools.

I find the PTO connection horrible - makes a cake job into a knuckle-busting PITA. Problem is you have to attach it to the tractor from the left side, and the trans filter is in the way. Poor design. Agreed on the delta-ring too (you know they don't use them anymore, right :).

/ New BX with drive-off mower deck #9  
The new B2301 is supposed to have it, too. They're really going after JD's 1025R with the B2301 and winning the comparison.

Ralph