Trailering Question?

/ Trailering Question? #1  

MidMichigan

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I am thinking about buying a trailer to haul my BX2200. From the other post I have read here I see that most of you would recommend a 14' -16' trailer. What I want to know is do you think my GMC extended cab Sonoma 4x4 will haul it? (truck has a 2" reese hitch) I think I would be better off with dual axles but do you think I need electric brakes? Mostly I would be hauling on back roads less then 10 miles unless I had to take it to the dealer then that would be 60 miles either down the freeway or on a backtop road through a town. I would want to haul the BX with either the rotary broom, fel, front blower or tiller. If you think my truck would handle it does anyone have an idea what I would have to pay for a trailer?
Thanks! Lisa /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trailering Question? #2  
anywhere in the New England area it doesn't matter what size trailer you have, all axles must have brakes on them. Don't know about your area, however, I think it foolish to pull an expensive tractor and implements without trailer brakes, whether you go 60 ft or 60 miles. I have an 18 ft 12,000 lb trailer and wished I could get a 20 footer. At all the trailer dealers I looked at, none went over 18 ft.

/ Trailering Question? #3  
Look on eBay using the search word "landscape trailer". I have seen some good buys on 14 - 16 footers..... $1000 - 1400....... with dual axles and one or two axle brakes....

Could you post some pictures of the sweeper and give a review of it. I don't know of anyone here that has a sweeper on the BX........
thanks .......

/ Trailering Question? #4  
Lisa; As much as I agree with the advice on getting a dual axle trailer, you will have to check the tow rating on your truck. A problem you might have with the S truck is running out of tow capacity with a dual axle trailer. I have a Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine. My tow capacity is 3500 pounds. When you consider that most dual axle trailers weigh 1500-2000 pounds, you can see how that can limit your payload.
I haul my BX with a 6.5'x12' single axle trailer, rated for 3500 lbs. My trailer is aluminum and weighs around 600 pounds, giving me a legal payload of 2800-2900 lbs. I can haul the BX with the FEL attached, and balance my load by putting the bucket on the trailer tongue.
I hope this helps.
Will

/ Trailering Question? #5  
Like Junkman posted, they are always offering a ton of trailers on eBay. I bought mine locally in New England, a 16 foot landscape trailer with dual axles, brakes on both axles, breakaway brake, sealed lights, etc. The dealer reinforced the rear gate to play it safe with my B7800. I paid $2,000 for the package. I like having the rail all the way around the trailer, since it makes it easy to attach the ratcheting tie downs. If your truck can take the load, I recommend getting the dual axles - my trailer behaves very well behind my F-150.

/ Trailering Question? #6  
I have to agree that a 14 to 16 ft tandem axle trailer with brakes would be your best bet. I don't think that your truck is going to be strong enough to haul it though. I have a 16 ft tandem axle with brakes on both axles that cost me $2000 with a heavy split ramp. I have a F250 Supercab and a Chevy Tahoe that I tow mine with and I don't have a problem with either one towing. Not that it matters, it just happens that both are 4x4's. Even though you have a 2" receiver, it doesn't mean that you will have enough truck to pull this size trailer. In New York, if the trailer is over 1000 lb. rating you need to have trailer brakes on it unless it is a boat trailer. Then it is prefered but not always ends up that way. Larry

/ Trailering Question? #7  
FWIW, I've got a 16' H&H flatbed I use to haul my L3000DT with mower. I don't know how a BX2200 compares to it, but I'm guessing it's smaller.

Before I got my Dodge 3/4 ton, I used a Ranger V6 to pull it. It isn't the best, but it will do for short distances like you're talking. Keep the tongue weight within the maximum and you'll be fine for short distances.

I wouldn't consider trying it without trailer brakes, though.

Legalities may be whole different matter. If you get into an accident, somebody may be inclined to sue you for negligently exceeding GCVW of your truck.

/ Trailering Question? #8  
MidMichigan

A 16' trailer with a 7000 lbs gross weight should weigh around 1400 lbs. Your BX2200 with a loader should weight less than 2000 lbs. The Sonoma has a tow rating of 4700 to 5500 lbs depending on the options you have on it. I don't think you will have any problems towing it with your truck.

I have a Chevy Astro Van AWD with the same engine and drive train as your Sonoma. I have no problems towing my B2910 with Loader and Backhoe around Michigan.

Electric brakes are a must. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A weight-equalizing hitch will make towing a lot smoother. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trailering Question? #9  
If you find a trailer you like and the person selling it is receptive, I would recommend putting the tractor on it and doing a little towing before you buy it. If you can, drive down to your local truckstop and put the whole rig on the CAT scales. It'll cost you about $7.50 but you'll then know whether you're overweight for your combination. (It will give you a number you can compare to your trucks GCVWR, and if you are ambitious you can also weigh without the trailer and then calculate how much room you have to stay under your GVWR. You can get the GCVW and GVWR from your truck dealer or out on the internet.

Regards,
Dave

/ Trailering Question?
Thanks All!
I will definitely go with the brakes and now I can do some checking on what kind of deal I can get on a trailer. As far as the broom on my BX I haven't tried to use it to much yet. Last fall I tried to rake leaves with it but one of the axles for the caster wheels broke. It had a bad weld. There was a mix-up when the dealer ordered the replacement and he had to order it 3 times before he got the right one. By the time it came it was to late for the leaves and I had the snowblower on. So this spring I'll try again by sweeping the stones out of the yard from the county snowplow and my blower. When I got it the first thing my Uncle said was he was first in line for spring clean-up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The sweeper hooks to the same quick hitch the snowblower uses so not bad to switch from one to the other. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it yet.
Lisa