Finally found time to mow pond dam

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
The dam was hayed earlier, and I wanted to start mowing with the F3680. Wasn't sure I could sidehill it....but did. It was slipping pretty good in some spots, this picture is not the steepest part, but close. Notice how the rear wheels are steering uphill. Mowing the rest that isn't mowed wasn't bad at all, it's the area right at the top.

There was ONE spot that the mower started doing stuff besides just sliding, and I did not like...right front of mower deck started coming up. The little tuff of grass....was where it was at. As everyone knows the steepness will vary, that particular spot, gotta watch.

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam #2  
to be honest, the grade doesn't look that bad at all, and once ground level has dried, great for your machine in the pic. having said that, in my own case, my dams are steeper, which is why i picked up a walk behind zero turn (hyd) for a safer mow. but your setup looks just fine when dry.
btw what's that to left of the tractor, cattail/ spring area?

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam
Yes....they call this town Creal SPRINGS for a reason. Got half a dozen of them...just basically wet spots...in the pasture area. Then some in the woods. The whole hillside past those high weeds, you can see a little brown above them, is wet.

Picture just doesn't seem to capture the steepness. The steep part where the tuft of grass is...I really didn't want to try and get off the machine and take a picture there. Rear of machine was sliding downhill, then the corner lift. The tuft of grass shows the steepness a little better. Don't think I will side hill that spot again. But you're right...mowing what I had left there wasn't bad at all.

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam #4  
glad to see your mowing is safe. regardless of mowing challenge on spring fed wet spots, they're a blessing. lost a big chunk of my high $ sugar & Japanese spring planting maples due to excessive spring flooding rains. but still try not to condemn the rains. they're a good opt, i live on mt springs too...go for it. why not build a pond close by below the existing spillway or runoff ?

glad to see your mowing is safe. regardless of mowing challenge on spring fed wet spots, they're a blessing. lost a big chunk of my high $ sugar & Japanese spring planting maples due to excessive spring flooding rains. but still try not to condemn the rains. they're a good opt, i live on mt springs too...go for it. why not build a pond close by below the existing spillway or runoff ?

Actually....if I had the money, that's exactly what I would do, on the other side of the pond where there is an earthen spillway. The previous owner built this pond wrong as far as I'm concerned, and we have a wet area directly due to water coming from this pond. It actually would be a nice upgrade to this pond, but doubt I'll ever do it because of $$$$$$.

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam #6  
it took many years to develop the spring fed area(s) into ponds for me, sounds like your dams are under mowing control for now. but if your runoff springs are also subterranean, maybe something in the future for pond devel...& if so, plenty of landscape opt too around them.... yeah, it's also about dozier operator. just research get a good one. hopefully, there's also lot's of clay bank to retain the water too...any kind of successful devel like that will greatly increase land value.

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam #7  
Yes....they call this town Creal SPRINGS for a reason. Got half a dozen of them...just basically wet spots...in the pasture area. Then some in the woods. The whole hillside past those high weeds, you can see a little brown above them, is wet.

Picture just doesn't seem to capture the steepness. The steep part where the tuft of grass is...I really didn't want to try and get off the machine and take a picture there. Rear of machine was sliding downhill, then the corner lift. The tuft of grass shows the steepness a little better. Don't think I will side hill that spot again. But you're right...mowing what I had left there wasn't bad at all.

Perhaps because you're tilting the camera when taking the picture? Look at the trees in the background, it's not even close to being vertical.

Perhaps because you're tilting the camera when taking the picture? Look at the trees in the background, it's not even close to being vertical.

HA...your right. I'm old, give me a break.

/ Finally found time to mow pond dam #9  

I had the same thought when I saw that.
If the photo were cropped to set the tree line horizontal you'd get a better feel for the actual pitch of your slope.
Really nice looking land, by the way.