BX24 Bucket problem

/ BX24 Bucket problem #1  

coreshot

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Last week at the cabin, I was moving some dirt and block with the 24. The bucket started to creep downward whenever it had a load in it. I had to keep cycling the hydraulics to keep the load from dumping as I transported the load. It was low on fluid, which I filled, but that didn't solve the issue. Is there a way to bleed the system in case it got air in it? The front bucket is the only ram that is creeping. There is no visible fluid leakage anywhere, aside from a small amount back on the backhoe. Just wondering if there's an easy fix before I take it to the dealer. THX

/ BX24 Bucket problem #2  
Last week at the cabin, I was moving some dirt and block with the 24. The bucket started to creep downward whenever it had a load in it. I had to keep cycling the hydraulics to keep the load from dumping as I transported the load. It was low on fluid, which I filled, but that didn't solve the issue. Is there a way to bleed the system in case it got air in it? The front bucket is the only ram that is creeping. There is no visible fluid leakage anywhere, aside from a small amount back on the backhoe. Just wondering if there's an easy fix before I take it to the dealer. THX
cycling the bucket is really the best way to get air out of the system.

/ BX24 Bucket problem #3  
Internal leaking is not uncommon with any hydraulic system.... The real question is : at what point is the leak bad enough that you want to spend cash to slow it down toward a more tolerable rate.

/ BX24 Bucket problem
It's bad enough now that it renders the loader pretty much unusable. With a load of soil, it only takes about 5 seconds to completely dump it if I'm not holding the control lever.

/ BX24 Bucket problem #5  
It could be the packing, or it could be the valve. If it's the cylinder packing, that's not a difficult DIY. I've done it once. Simply replacing the whole cylinder might cost less than the dealer's repair bill. Try looking into the cost of a new cylinder, if it's a welded cylinder it might not cost much.

Can you crack the fitting on the backside of the cylinder piston? If there's flow that tells you fluid is leaking past the packing. If no flow (or sucking air) then it's probably leaking at the control valve. I think.

Someone more experienced with hydraulics can probably give you a better test.

/ BX24 Bucket problem
They rebuilt the cylinder with new seals, works like a charm now.