Where is seat safety switch in schematic?

/ Where is seat safety switch in schematic? #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have a B2710 and noticed the engine did not shut down when I hopped off the tractor with the PTO engaged. The B2710 has two seat switches, one to sense presence of operator, one to sense if the seat is tipped all the way forward. Both switches are working properly, so I looked at schematic and can't find the switches. I assume they somehow control power to the fuel shutoff solenoid, but I'd like to know how before I go hunting around. If anyone has any clues where I might find the switches on the schematic, or know how they control power to solenoid, I'd appreciate it.

/ Where is seat safety switch in schematic? #3  
Vacating the seat will not kill the engine on my B2650, as long as the hydro pedal is in the neutral position and the brake s are on. I would be unable to run my 3pth wood chipper or any other pto driven piece of equipment like a pto driven pump for a back hoe.. Suspect your B2710 is similar.

/ Where is seat safety switch in schematic?
Vacating the seat will not kill the engine on my B2650, as long as the hydro pedal is in the neutral position and the brake s are on. I would be unable to run my 3pth wood chipper or any other pto driven piece of equipment like a pto driven pump for a back hoe.. Suspect your B2710 is similar.

There are two switches on my seat. If I want to run a PTO device while I'm off the tractor, I have to tip the seat all the way forward. That makes up a switch that allows the tractor to keep running. The other switch senses if I'm sitting on the seat. As you correctly point out, just getting up won't kill the engine, but if I push on the hydro pedal while I'm out of the seat, the engine should die. The thinking is I could stand on the ground with the tractor running, push on the pedal with my hand, and have the tractor drive over me.

My big question is why the schematic doesn't show these two switches. It shows the 3 safety switches that need to be complete for the engine to crank (HST pedal position, clutch position, and PTO position), and how they cut power to the starter, but it doesn't show either of the seat safety switches. The only place they're even mentioned is in the owner's manual.

Last edited:
   / Where is seat safety switch in schematic?
OK, I figured it out. There is either a timer in the circuit, or it takes the fuel about 3 seconds to run out before the engine stops. So if I stand up in the seat while the tractor is moving, it will continue for about 5-10 feet before the engine dies. Similarly if I stand up while the PTO is running (but tractor is not moving), it will die after about 3 seconds. I assume it's designed this way because the lawyers told the engineers it's cheaper to kill someone than to injure them, so this way the tractor will stop just as it rolls on top of me and I'll be sure to die.

I also went to Messick's and downloaded the electrical parts diagram and found the wiring harness. The harness shows the wires going to the seat switches, and then the harness goes into the instrument cluster, then out the left side of engine to the starter and branches over to the right side where the fuel solenoid is. So it's still a mystery why the schematic in shop manual doesn't show the seat switches. If I ever really have a problem I'll have to follow the wires all the way forward to whatever controls the fuel stop solenoid.