BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
Don't know if this has already been addressed or not, but I resolved my BX2370-1's stopping issue...

The slow stopping is due to a shock absorber connected to the hst pedal mechanism. I simply removed that shock absorber completely. It now behaves like an hst should: it stops immediately after removing your foot off of the pedal.

If anyone is interested in details, I can take some pics later.

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #2  
I was thinking about doing that to my 3350 as it does not go to neutral without tapping the reverse treadle. I can live with that but it might be better for the machine to go into neutral without any help. I used a hypodermic needle to squirt oil into the rubber boot but that did not help at all.

Last edited:
   / BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #3  
Don't know if this has already been addressed or not, but I resolved my BX2370-1's stopping issue...

The slow stopping is due to a shock absorber connected to the hst pedal mechanism. I simply removed that shock absorber completely. It now behaves like an hst should: it stops immediately after removing your foot off of the pedal.

I think that they added the shock absorber to address the sudden stop "issue" on the BX24. Personally, I would rather have mine stop abruptly when I lifted off the pedal like the 24, than run over someone or go too far when I want it to stop. How's reverse stopping with the s.a. removed?

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #4  

I think that they added the shock absorber to address the sudden stop "issue" on the BX24. Personally, I would rather have mine stop abruptly when I lifted off the pedal like the 24, than run over someone or go too far when I want it to stop. How's reverse stopping with the s.a. removed?

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly

You're correct. They fixed an issue that wasn't an issue. Many of us hate the "coast 20 feet before it stops".

The stop is more abrupt when going in reverse. I love it.

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #6  
post the fix pics please... I'm a half a world away from my BX and missing it so a teaser for another project is welcome.

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #7  
BX25D-1. Coming down a steep slope with front bucket full of gravel to dump beside my garage (at the bottom of the slope) kept going and almost hit building before getting to brake. Yesterday, loading full buckets of gravel on back of RTV1140 which is almost exact width of bucket and not wanting to tap back drop gate on RTV with one foot on brake and one on go pedal. HATE IT!!!! Most other uses that don't require precision dumping or not on down hill slope is OK.
For those that keep saying it is a fix for the abrupt stop.....NOT SO.....the abrupt stop was on the BXxx50 series and was only in reverse (yes, I had one) and it was a short run series. The BXxx60 series, the series before the current BXxx70 series did NOT have the issue and the BXxx60 series ran for years so the issues from 8 or so years ago is not the reason to screw up the current series. NOT!
It would not be as bad and noticeable if I had not owned several BXs, Bs and an L before and after the BX2350 and the current BX25D-1 and non of them SUFFERED from this issue/defect. I even owned an earlier BX25 from the BXxx60 series. My RTV1140 will throw you thru the windshield when you release the floor pedal quickly but it can also be feathered to a slow and smooth stop. It's possible and Kubota knows it, they just didn't do it and don't want to pay for massive recalls to fix the problem and hear the complaints from dealers of how they don't get reimbursed for their shop rates and only get what Kubota says is a fair price for covering the repair, like Kubota Corp thru their regional reps would know what a fair price is for a repair :rolleyes:. Oops, the regional rep is the company contact with the dealers and is usually a mechanic or advanced mechanical knowledge.
I met with 5 of Kubotas engineers from Japan a few years ago at Barlows at their/Barlows request and enjoyed the visit/meeting. They did mention dropping the 3 speed on the B series. I expressed my opinion that it was important to keep it having owned several two and three speeds. Would love to meet with them again and discuss their no stopping BX25D-1 machine and my feelings about it. They gave me a Kubota hat available only in Japan and they might wouldn't now if we had another meeting. :D

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #8  
I own a BX2350 and removed the dampener on mine also. Yes it has a pretty jerky stop, worse with the dampener removed, but at least it stops. Mine was starting to hang up and not stop was why I removed the dampener.

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #9  
I have a BX2350D. Love the tractor HATE the reverse stop. I have the damper on mine, and it doesn't always stop when moving forward slowly. The one thing no one has mentioned is adjusting the linkage. Basically I would assume it is putting more tension on the return spring. I have not adjusted mine yet as I have gotten used to the "issue". actually, it is worse when cold (tractor). once the tractor warms up, it stops much better. I would imagine taking off the damper would really exaggerate the reverse stop issue that the BX24 has.

/ BX70 Dynamic Braking and not stopping quickly #10  
When I removed my dampner, it made the sudden stop worse, but not that much. It is also a little more jerky when going forward also. I tried adjusting the spring tension on mine, it didn't make a lot of difference. I also noticed the issue is worse when cold as far at the tractor not stopping. One thing someone on this board suggested years ago and I have gotten in the habit of doing is use your toe on the forward pedal to lift it up when backing up instead of using your heal on the reverse pedal. It gives you better control when backing up and helps with the sudden stop.