Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do?

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #1  

DaNag

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3130HST w/LA723, HD bucket
I can't be the first one to do this, but it doesn't seem like many others here have admitted to it...

3130 owned since new. I've done all my own service, just turned over 400 hours.

I did the HST fluid, transmission and hydraulic filter changes at 50 hours, and both filters again at 200. When I changed the fluid, I know I drained it all correctly as I used up the 11 gallons of Chevron Synthetic All Weather hydraulic fluid I purchased.

Just now while doing the 400 hour service, though - I skimmed through the manual too quickly, forgetting there was more than one transmission drain plug. I only drained from the large middle one, located between the rear wheels. I have three 5 gallon drain pans, two of which were filled near the top and a small amount in the last one. So, knowing the capacity was a little over 11 gallons - I assumed that was a reasonable amount of fluid coming out. Changed the hydraulic and transmission filter, then proceeded to fill things back up.

I checked the level after putting 7.5 gallons of SUDT2 back in - and it was at the bottom line on the stick. Assuming there was significant fluid that would fill both filters and other areas of the hydraulics, I started it up and operated everything - but when I shut down and went to check the level, it had only dropped slightly. I double-checked the manual for the proper capacity, then saw my screw up...two other drain plugs missed. Having started it up and operated the hydraulics, I'm assuming I've got the old and new fluid mixed together pretty well.

Measuring the hydraulic fluid removed - about 9 gallons, so there's up to two of the old stuff left in there. Don't know exactly how much, as I didn't check the level before starting the service.

So, that leaves me with a few options:

1) Start over, dumping the mixed fluid - $150 of SUDT2 down the drain.

2) Same as 1), but replace the filters as well. I'm guessing this might be overkill.

3) Leave it as-is mixed with the old Chevron synthetic, use it for X period of time, changing everything again down the road at a shorter than required interval

I'm leaning towards 1) above. Thoughts?

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #2  
The fact that you were already using synthetic and got most out, my advice would be to just run it as is till your next regular change interval, unless of course, the fluid you removed was discolored, burnt, or contained quite a bit of water. The fluid itself will not break down and there should be enough additive package in the oil you added for at least 400 hrs. Even during a regular change when you do pull all the plugs you never get all the fluid anyway.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #3  
Here's my thoughts. Since you were diligent doing the 50 and 200 hour service correctly I'd leave it as is and change it again at the next scheduled service. Unless for some reason the fluid you did drain came out super black and dirty I see no reason to worry about a couple gallons that didn't make it out.
My current tractor hasn't reached 200 hr. yet but on my previous tractor when I did the 50,200, & 400 services the fluid came out almost as clean as the new going in. I almost had the thought I was wasting money doing the scheduled service.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #4  
As Stevie Winwood would say - "Roll with it baby"

I certainly wouldn't change it again until the next service is due.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do?
Well...thanks for saving me $150. And I promise - I won't come back at y'all if you're wrong. :D

The Chevron synthetic that came out looked and smelled like new. Bright, no burnt smell, no water. Filters looked great as well.

And, while I can't be certain - I'm guessing there wasn't a ton left in there. Unlike the Chevron which has that nice bright orange tint, the SUDT2 is clear - and I don't see a hint of orange on a paper towel when wiping the dipstick.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #6  
Remember too that the only hydraulic oil change that changes every bit of oil is the one that drains and cleans all hoses, pumps, cylinders and valves so even the normal change leaves a certain amount of residual oil. You just left a little more residual than normal.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #7  
Trust but verify.
Drain a little for a Used Oil Analysis. Send it in and you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
If you are not working the tractor HARD and DIRTY it's probably okay, but a $20 analysis would let ME sleep better at night.

For example on my F350 I switched over to T6 and was getting a great UOA at 18,000 miles, instead of changing at 5,000 miles.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #8  
Remember too that the only hydraulic oil change that changes every bit of oil is the one that drains and cleans all hoses, pumps, cylinders and valves so even the normal change leaves a certain amount of residual oil. You just left a little more residual than normal.
I agree with MHarryE.It should be fine.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #9  
I agree with MHarryE.It should be fine.

another vote for it will be fine.
Changing hydraulic oil in my Kubotas, stuff coming out is so perfect, I can't
even make myself throw it away.
It gets strained and dumped in one of my old tractors hydraulics.
old tractor probably never had it so good.

/ Missed HST Drain Plugs During Change - What Would You Do? #10  
I would venture to guess you are good to go. Many have posted good reasons you should simply proceed to the next interval. As I reviewed I noted the following:

1. You have been faithful in making the previous changes during the service interval prescribed.
2. The volumetric exchange was near complete (minus two gallons)
3. Your previous hydraulic fluid was a synthetic and was in good shape (no burnt smell or discoloration)
4. There was no discoloration of the new fluid to an orange tint (visual inspection).

As previously posted a oil analysis will be helpful in establishing a baseline as well as putting you at ease.