Looking for suggestions

/ Looking for suggestions #1  

Rfisher7381

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Have a 2011 BX2360. Shortly after I got it I dropped the plastic piece from the fuel can into the fuel tank. Have been unable to fish it out. Until yesterday it wasn't causing a problem. Now the BX will start and run ok but then suddenly nearly stales out. Both fuel filters were changed last fall. I checked all fluid levels and all is right on the mark. I have a tool with a flexible shaft and prongs that extend out that I have tried grabbing onto the plastic but no luck. I cannot see the plastic. I think it has moved into a position that is restricting fuel flow. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on getting the plastic out without having to remove the tank. Thanks.

/ Looking for suggestions #2  
Maybe you could borrow a flexible fiber optic bore scope from someone. Make sure diesel won't destroy it, of course. Good luck in retrieving it. Or, drain the tank and rig up a suction device (don't want to blow up a vacuum- heard too many stories about guys sucking pull lines thru plastic conduit and exploding vacuums from the glue fumes still left over) to get it out.

/ Looking for suggestions #3  
How I got bugs out of my tank was to back left side tire up a dirt pile. Took another tractor lifted the front up high, Drain the tank and it well be right in the corner of the tank, get someone with a small hand to get it out.

/ Looking for suggestions #5  
I asked my local K. dealer about the possibility of a plastic cap interfering with the fuel flow. The agent agreed that since the fuel is injected by an electric pump, there is a concentrated flow of fuel exiting around the fuel outlet and that yes, a plastic cap could hinder fuel flow now and then as the cap moves around in the tank. His solution to the problem was exactly what Leejohn stated: that is positioning the tractor so that the plastic piece gravitates to the corner of the tank where it can be retrieved. I suggest that you drain the tank in that position by siphon which might cause a slight flow in the fuel to bring the offending object down to the tank opening. I might add that if you do drain the tank, you could then set up a fuel hose to return the fuel to the tank via a long hose which extends to the further end of the tank, which would create a current of fuel which could help to move the plastic piece.

My dad joked that he intended to write a book entitled "Raising Children for Fun and Profit" but I don't think he imagined a 5 year old with a glove reaching into a fuel tank for a plastic cap! Let us know how you make out with your problem. I can see it happening to me, maybe not the plastic cap but certainly with wood chips from the chain saw.