broken pointer on temperature gauge

/ broken pointer on temperature gauge #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I looked down at my temp gauge and the pointer was broken off at the hub. The orange base of the pointer is still visible so I can tell about what the temp is, just not as convenient. I see that I can buy another gauge but I'm the type that likes to repair anything I can. I can think of a few things to try to reattach the needle but if someone has done it with success I would use their method. Has anybody tried it?

/ broken pointer on temperature gauge
Thanks for that. I searched but didn't come up with that one. It sounds like the pointers are pretty fragile.

/ broken pointer on temperature gauge #4  
Go for it.

The toothpick idea seems workable. I really need to drill a hole in the hub of the pointer to secure it. Does anyone know if the pointer hub will slip off the gauge spindle?

/ broken pointer on temperature gauge #6  
Couldn't say for sure on yours, but in my experience, pointers ARE usually pressed on. Need to be very careful prying them off to exert even pressure all around while not exerting too much pressure on the face. Got to avoid bending the stem or cracking/bending/marring the face. I wonder if you could replace yours with a donor from some other gauge, or even a clock hand? I bet that the stem diameters of many gauges are identical.

- Jay

That's an idea. I have several old automotive gauges laying around.

Thanks

/ broken pointer on temperature gauge #8  
For sure you can press on a new pointer hand.
I have done that. In fact even a toothpick (trimmed to fit) + tiny hole and crazy glue could do the job.
Then again many gauges share lots of parts and are merely different dials attached to a common casing.
Most simply are based on variable wire wound resistors.

I got around to trying to repair the gauge today. I learned a couple of lessons that might help someone else who is trying the same. #1 is don't remove the hub from the gauge if you can help it. I removed the hub, spliced a spray can directional straw on and replaced the hub just like it came off. I had it all back together, turned the power on and it went straight to hot. I took it back apart, removed the pointer, turned power to the gauge and replaced the pointer pointing to cold. That seemed to work, so I started putting it back together again. I bumped the cluster and the fuel pointer broke off. Back apart to replace the pointer, turn on power, replace at same position as before it broke. Put it back together again and looked and the fuel pointer had fallen to below empty. It always stayed at same level regardless of power on or off. I decided the new pointer was too heavy for the delicate gauge, so I pulled it apart AGAIN. I pulled both pointers off and used the tooth pick idea posted above. I used a razor blade to trim them down to a thin strip, painted them orange, and used super glue to glue them to the hub top, then used an epoxy glue over that. I'm waiting for the epoxy to dry over night before assembling again.

OK, up and running today. Lessons: 1, don't remove the pointer hub from the gauge unless necessary. 2, if you do, energize the gauges before reinstallation of the pointer. 3, Use very light material as a substitute for the broken pointer. Too heavy and it will pull the pointer down hill. I used wooden tooth picks shaved down and painted orange.