TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #1  

KRECKER

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
What started out as just a simple tire plugging or patching problem has turned out to be a BIG problem. I developed a leak in left rear tire 26 x 12.00 Multi Trac G/S Titan tire. I had put Green Slime in tires last year to take care of small punctures from sticks and other things. Well this puncture was a to big to have plugged. When the tire was broken down and taken off rim, and was being ground so that a patch could be put on, the area around the puncture started deteoriating to a point that a patch would not even take hold.
As I inspected the tire on the inside it looked as if the entire polyester fabric on the inside of the tire was loose and coming off. This had nothing to do with the Green Slime, as this is a non-corrosive sealant. Well anyway, I took tire back to my dealer (110 hours on tires) and let him look at the time and he agreed. Since the tires are not warranteed by Kubota, he place called to Titan tires, but have not gotten a response at this time. So I decided to call a friend who has sells Titan tires, but not this size tire. He said that if this tire had already been tried to ground down to patch, then Titan would not make an adjustment.
I am not really very happy this time and do not want to purchase a new tire, even though I could get one for $55.00, I just to not feel that this tire should be my problem at this point in time.
Has anyone else had this type of problem with Titan tires?
Any help is appreciated.

Don

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #2  
Hi there,

From everything I've read on here, Titan tires are considered a great tire. There have been a number of threads about the Carlyle tires that frequently come with Kubotas. The trend has been to have problems with these tires and replacing them with Titans!

If you search for "Titan" you'll find the threads.

Kevin

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #3  
Most, if not all tire manufacturers will not make any tire warranty adjustments once a repair is attempted. They want the tire in its unmolested state so they can see the "defect" in its original condition to determine if there is in fact a defect. I don't think that you are going to win this and if it were me, I would just either spend the $55.00 for a new tire or put a tube in the old one. If I remember correctly, there is a 800 number on the side of the tire. Call them directly and see what satisfaction you can get directly. It doesn't hurt to try, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time on this. Every warranty that I have ever seen states that it is void if the item has been tampered with or unapproved repair methods have been attempted. Grinding the inside of the tire, in the manufacturers opinion, is probably a unapproved method. There just isn't that much material between the carcass of the tire and the tread to start with.

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #4  
You probably got a tire that was not vulcanized properly when manufactured. A tire manufacturer can not tell if he has made a "good" tire unless a sample is destroyed in the testing process. If the sample tests "good" the whole lot is assumed to be OK but this is not always the case as sometimes a tire that should have been rejected might slip by.
I agree with the other posters that the company would like to see the tire in it's original state of failure, but maybe they will make an exception as a good will gesture. I think you will be dealing with Carlisle Tire as they have bought out the Titan division that makes these tires.
All that said maybe it would be easier to just pay the $55 and get a new tire as suggested by another poster.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #5  
SEEMS TO me that with only 110 hours on tires OF ANY name brand u shoud not be having a problem with leaks or punctures in the type of application u are using the tractor for.but i think u are not going to win this battle, unless u can get the dealer to help. but even then i think u will have to spring for the new tire.

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE
Thanks all for your advise. That is what I figured from the beginning, but what really doesn't make much sense for these type of tires, is that when you do have a problem with them, there is no one around at the dealer to advise what is the best way to handle the problem.
You know when you have flat tire, you fix it or get it fixed. A flat tire is not good to anyone, especially the person sitting on the tractor and needs the tractor in working order.
Yep, I gave them a couple of days and nothing has happened, so this p.m. after work, will get new tire.

Again thanks for the advise.

Don

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #7  
Don........ my old Bolens tractors have 24x12x12 tires on it and periodically one of them goes flat. I just run down to the garage and put air into it. If it holds I just keep on going. If it goes flat again, it gets a tube. I have never figured out why it will go flat and after I put air into it, it will be fine for another few months without any problems. Must be the tire Gods playing games with my head. I had a collection of 5 of those Bolens, so it was a treat fixing tires. One Kubota is replacing all of them!

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE
Junkman,

thanks for the reply. I just got call from my dealer and Titan has agreed to an adjusment of $36.00 which I am ok with and will go get a Carlisle tire this p.m.

Do you think that it would be wise to go ahead and put a tube in it? I really haven't messed with tube type tires in a long time. I check tires everytime I get ready to use the tractor.
Just looking for advice, which I know "it worth what you pay for it".....

Thanks

Don

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #9  
Glad to hear that they are giving you a brake on the new tire. Are you going to get a matching tire or is it going to be a Carlisle branded tire?

I never put a tube into a tire unless there is no other alternative. A tube will go flat faster than any tubeless tire. My problem has usually been rust on the inside of the rims that causes the problems. The rims get rust around the sealing bead. You don't have that problem on new rims, but on 35 year old tractors, the paint just isn't there any longer. Many times, people will sand the edge of the rim to clean it up before mounting the new tire. This just accelerates the rusting problems. If they need to be cleaned, then they should be cleaned with a non abrasive cleaner such as a strong soap and water. Then a light coating of a tire lubricant to help it seal against the bead is all that is needed. When installing a new tire, the valve stem core is removed to allow the full air pressure to enter the tire to rapidly expand the tire to seat the bead and then it is inserted into the stem. Wear safety glasses so if the core pops out, it doesn't hit you in the eye. You can use a tie down strap around the tread to expand the tread, but you need to release this quickly once the bead takes hold. Tire mounting is almost an art. Once you learn how, it is easy, but it can be frustrating if you don't get the hang of it. I remember trying to mount tires that were stacked 10 high and the bottom tire looked like a flat donut.

/ TURF TIRE PROBLEM BX2200 TITAN TIRE #10  
I have less than 60 hours on my bx2200 and have ended up putting tubes in both front tires (Titans). Had a flat on one, took in to shop. I didn't see it but the tire shop described a similar condition of cords showing through. So they put in a tube. About a month later I developed a slow leak in the other so had the same done. Cost me about $17 per tire. I may have been able to get some adjustment on a replacement tire but with my dealer 2 hours away I figured for the price it wasn't worth it. I have added tubes to other "low speed non-highway " tubless tires before with out any problems. I guess if it ends up splitting out on tread face later I will wish I had called the dealer but so far so good!