M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing

/ M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
Bought this place, 36 acres, 4 years ago. The person I bought it from owns a lot of woods and some brushed up pasture around me. Last couple of years, we've had an arrangement, I borrowed and used his Rhino SE8A to mow in exchange for mowing areas he has that are not hayed. I've asked about buying the Rhino...he didn't say no, but haven't discussed beyond that.

He also has a Woods 3180, that I have not asked to use, thinking it's a bit much for my M7040...but I've pulled batwings with an M7040, and for moderate mowing it's ...OK. Mowing with the Rhino, it's not taxing the M7040 all that much. Even grass, light brush, that is twice the height of the tractor, I'm still in 1st gear high range. The Woods would for sure put me in low range.

What's everyone opinion on pulling the Woods with the M7040. He may not be conducive to selling, or me even using it, but two things are making me think it might be a better choice. 1...I'm putting the tractor into trees mowing. The areas I mow are the edges etc...and the batwing hanging out to the side would work a lot better for that. 2...The batwing would allow me to trim around several ponds. I'm currently using a sickle mower, it's ok, but such a pita to hookup, especially with no other person around.

On the lighter stuff, I think I could pull the batwing in 1st gear high range, 4th gear low range for everything else.

On edit....he also has not used either mower for the last 2 years. I've done all the mowing.

Last edited:
   / M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing #2  
Bought this place, 36 acres, 4 years ago. The person I bought it from owns a lot of woods and some brushed up pasture around me. Last couple of years, we've had an arrangement, I borrowed and used his Rhino SE8A to mow in exchange for mowing areas he has that are not hayed. I've asked about buying the Rhino...he didn't say no, but haven't discussed beyond that.

He also has a Woods 3180, that I have not asked to use, thinking it's a bit much for my M7040...but I've pulled batwings with an M7040, and for moderate mowing it's ...OK. Mowing with the Rhino, it's not taxing the M7040 all that much. Even grass, light brush, that is twice the height of the tractor, I'm still in 1st gear high range. The Woods would for sure put me in low range.

What's everyone opinion on pulling the Woods with the M7040. He may not be conducive to selling, or me even using it, but two things are making me think it might be a better choice. 1...I'm putting the tractor into trees mowing. The areas I mow are the edges etc...and the batwing hanging out to the side would work a lot better for that. 2...The batwing would allow me to trim around several ponds. I'm currently using a sickle mower, it's ok, but such a pita to hookup, especially with no other person around.

On the lighter stuff, I think I could pull the batwing in 1st gear high range, 4th gear low range for everything else.

On edit....he also has not used either mower for the last 2 years. I've done all the mowing.

I don't think twice about using my 7040 to pull my 15ft batwing,just another one of its duties. If he is interested in selling,ask if you can use it first and see if your happy with it.

/ M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing
I don't think twice about using my 7040 to pull my 15ft batwing,just another one of its duties. If he is interested in selling,ask if you can use it first and see if your happy with it.

Some stuff that I've mowed recently, with this 8ft Rhino put me in 3rd gear low range....it was twice as tall as the tractor, and extremely thick grass. For sure with a batwing, I'd be taking small swaps at it. But then again, most everything else is 2nd gear high range...IF the ground is smooth enough that I don't bounce off the tractor.

What gear do you typically mow in? What pto speed? and how many rpms?

/ M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing #4  
I usually run my 9540 in low range, 4th gear with a 20' woods batwing.

/ M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing #5  
Like you said it depends on the situation but in thinner stuff usually running 1 high at 2100-2400rpms any faster usually to rough maybe do 2 if pasture allows,in thicker stuff I run the full 2400 rpms in low range what ever gear is best usually 3rd is the lowest been,mainly 4th. I haven't got into needing to move over and not take full 15ft but you can and with the 8ft that as wide as your going to ever get in the thin stuff. I had an 8ft before my 15ft and I would chunk rocks at it now. I would rather slow down and enjoy the smooth ride then run 6mph and rodeo in the seat all day to cover the same amount of ground between a 8ft and 15ft,and get a better cut a lot of times. If you set your mower where its as low can go your going to use some HP for sure,move it up an inch,no need get that low,only time I do that is if mowing my front yard with it and I can bog down my TL100 doing it,its so thick...

/ M7040 pulling Woods 3180 bat wing
I would rather slow down and enjoy the smooth ride then run 6mph and rodeo in the seat all day to cover the same amount of ground between a 8ft and 15ft,and get a better cut a lot of times. .

That's something I've noticed. Rough ride, and not impressed with the cut with this 8ft.