What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)?

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #1  

mshumack

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 Kubota BX2370 w/ FEL and MMM
I have seen several videos and threads complaining that the BX70 series tractors don't stop quick enough when your foot is removed from forward/reverse pedal. One person/post said it is normal as long as tractor stops in less than 10 feet according to the manual (I have not seen this myself in the operators manual I downloaded).

Some say its a dangerous condition but Dealers won't fix (because Dealers say its normal), other owners say it is working fine and they prefer a gentle stop rather than an immediate stop when lifting foot.

Is it just personal preference - or is this a safety issue?

If you are on a hill will the tractor continue to roll or does it come to a stop in 5ft+/- no matter the grade? Do you just rely on the parking brake pedal to stop you?

I'm going to try a BX2370 tomorrow and need to decide rather quickly since the 0% financing program ends next week.

I'm sorry I saw these threads/videos now, as I have real concern. I don't want to get into a situation where I need to stop quickly and can't. :confused:

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #2  
All I can tell you is of the three hydro tractors I have owned. A New Holland, a Kubota and now the Kioti. It is not normal. The hydro should stop you rather abruptly if you jerk your foot off of the pedal even on a hill. After a few seconds on a steep enough hill they will drift downhill like a snail if you do not press the brake or a little reverse direction pedal. But we are literally talking a snail's pace of the downhill drift. To come to a smooth stop in a hydro tractor you release the directional pedal slowly or the stop will be quite abrupt. This is the way all three I have owned have worked.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #3  
Mine is within the specs, cant find it right now, I had posted them before. My first tractor so its what I'm used too, no problem. A little common sense goes a long way. My land is mostly flat so I just put the front bucket down and no brakes. My dad has the JD 1025 and forgot to put the bucket down and/or set the brakes and found it half way down the ravine, he knows better, also no damage, he's lucky.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)?
I just went through the Operator's manual again and it just says under "Stopping" to "Step on the brake pedal". There is no reference to coasting/rolling a certain distance after lifting foot from speed control pedal.
I have an appointment to drive one tomorrow and see how I like it.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #5  
When you buy it just take the little shock cyl off of the shifting lankage and keep greased. The grease fitting is under a little door in the floor mat.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #6  
I don't believe it is dangerous at all. I personally find the small amount of creep no big deal but other people really dislike it. I think if it is your first tractor it would not be a big deal because you sort of learn its "style" and just get used to it. I used to drive geared tractors for work 40 hrs a week so to me the idea of hitting a brake or planning your stop is not an issue. It seems that if you are used to a HST that stops on a dime (Quickly) then it may bother you because it does not lock the wheels when you let off.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #7  
I have had four Kubotas, still have three, two John Deere SCUTs and still have one and pretty much agree with James k0ua. I would be very uncomfortable with one on which you had to brake to stop, I can't remember the last time I use brakes on any of them beyond holding absolutely still on a steep slope.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #8  
I was able to find the stopping distance allowance in the workshop manual. If I can remember tonight, I'll try and post a picture.

/ What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #9  
It seems the dampener they put on to avoid the abrupt stop now makes it slow so gently it creeps - they just need to find the happy medium!

Last edited:
   / What is latest opinion/position on BX series slow braking (is it an issue or not)? #10  
I have had four Kubotas, still have three, two John Deere SCUTs and still have one and pretty much agree with James k0ua. I would be very uncomfortable with one on which you had to brake to stop, I can't remember the last time I use brakes on any of them beyond holding absolutely still on a steep slope.

I agree, loading a truck or working with a groundman doing landscaping could really be bad.. I would not like it at all.