MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK

/ MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK
Thanks TripleR. Do you remember if they had to split the tractor on this repair. Just trying to figure if I should repair it or just move on to another tractor.

/ MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK #12  
I sure am frustrated with this tractor. I bought it in June and it's been back to the dealer 3 times already, this will be the forth time. I am really not liking the orange right now. This is my 3rd Kubota and it was to be my final tractor so to speak. I may have another one coming yet but will it be orange???

I can certainly understand your frustration, but I wouldn't give up on any brand over an incident like this. We had a John Deere 2305 that spent about as much time in the shop as on the farm, but when a 300 gallon fuel tank fell on it, we replaced it with a new JD 1025R, Kubota, John Deere, Kioti etc. make good machines, but I've seen problems on all of them.

Just a thought as I'm not brand loyal and I'm not sure what my next tractor would be if I ever need another.

I understand. I really like the tractor and it's great in a lot of areas. I feel the dealer didn't go over it well when it was traded in. Although they wouldn't have been able to help in this issue but they would have in the other 3.
Do you remember if they had to split your tractor or not?
Could they just remeve the front axel?

/ MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK #14  
Thanks TripleR. Do you remember if they had to split the tractor on this repair. Just trying to figure if I should repair it or just move on to another tractor.

Yes they did. I was lucky enough to have a great shop foreman who felt there should be a better way than the WSM which required the cab to be removed. While it didn't save me any money, it saved me time. You might want to look for a good independent tractor mechanic as it should not be beyond their ability and will be cheaper. If mine ever goes out again, I'll have my brother fix it, nothing magical about them and as mentioned my shop had to figure it out as they went too.

If it is just the axle seal, it won't need to be split.

I hope it works out for you and if it helps, I've never heard of the repaired seal going out.

So they split yours because of the transmission seal?
The axel seal they don't need to split it?

I don't have anybody around here that can do this for me that I know of. I also don't have a garage to put it in.

/ MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK #16  
So they split yours because of the transmission seal?
The axle seal they don't need to split it?

I don't have anybody around here that can do this for me that I know of. I also don't have a garage to put it in.

Right, when it was taken in, they had sent a technician out to look at it and thought it was the axle seal and would not need to be split. When they started replacing the front axle seal, they discovered it was the transmission seal.

That is a shame about no independent shops around, but they are, I am afraid a dying breed. Our last one stopped working on tractors about a year ago and now does trucks only.

My brother has saved us a ton of money as we have a couple of shops on our farms and own tractors/farm independently and jointly. Many of our tractors are pretty old and he keeps them alive.

Sounds like a couple thousand dollars to add to the price of my new purchase.
How many days does it take?
Maybe 1 to separate it 1 to change the seals and 1 more to reassemble it.
Does that sound about right?

Okay just a quick update. I checked all the fluids. Perhaps I should have done this first. The engine oil and transmission oil are full/ The front axle was 2 1/2 liters low. Culprit found.

Now for the winning question. Should I spent the extra and have the transmission seal changed or roll the dice and just do the front axle? Anyone have an idea about time frames involved.
Would it be 1 day labor versus 3 days?
Does that sound reasonable?

I'll update how I make out at the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited:
   / MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK #18  
I honestly don't know the time frame as I had them add rear wheel weights and a third function valve.

As to rolling the dice, your dealer can best advise you as I don't know how much disassembly is involved. I was once given a big break on replacing my HST fan as another repair involved removing the deck and related parts.

/ MY 2012 5740 HSTC HAS AN OIL LEAK #19  
I think it may be exactly that. The oil isn't black like the engine oil, it is lighter in color. How big of a job is that to fix?
My dealer said Kubota allows 20 minutes to replace the axle seal but in reality it takes about 30-40 minutes.Not a big job and definitely worth trying first.He said splitting the tractor would be 2-3 days,definitely a lot more money.Good luck.

My dealer said Kubota allows 20 minutes to replace the axle seal but in reality it takes about 30-40 minutes.Not a big job and definitely worth trying first.He said splitting the tractor would be 2-3 days,definitely a lot more money.Good luck.

Oh that's nothing if that's all it is. The front axle is the only thing that was down in fluid. So it must be coming from there. I will update what they tell me tomorrow.

Thanks.