B2782 Snow Blower modifying

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying #21  
Aaron,

<snip>

I have no idea why the manufacturers haven't incorporated UHMW lining in their designs.

Yes - with production volume, the cost could probably be kept very low.
Fit and attachment could be designed into the product.
It would give better performance and differentiate the brand from its competition.
Plus, you'd have a whole new line of wear parts to sell!
-Jim

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying #22  
Would 1/8" be thick enough for the impeller blades, or should I use something thicker like 1/4" or 1/2" UHMW?
I can get a 12x24 piece of oil impregnated 1/2 UHMW for $36, or regular 1/4" UHMW for $20.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying
Yes, 1/8" thick material has more than adequate strength to line the paddles. No need for oil impregnated, regular will do fine.

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying #24  
Wow - awesome idea and workmanship! Wish you lived closer..... I've got a virgin snow blower you could have for a few months. :D Maybe you can send me a B2782 kit? That way you get the profits instead of Kubota.... :thumbsup:

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying #25  
Yes, 1/8" thick material has more than adequate strength to line the paddles. No need for oil impregnated, regular will do fine.
Even with a 3/4" gap (from the impeller tip to the drum) to fill?

Aaron Z

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying #26  
Ordered 5 8"x100" strips of 1/8" virgin UHMW for about $60 shipped.

Probably not as good as a big sheet, but its a lot cheaper and it should make the corners in the chute easier (one piece up the back and two pieces for the sides).
If its not heavy enough to use on the impeller, I will order a piece of something thicker (1/4", 3/8" or 1/2").

Aaron Z

Even with a 3/4" gap (from the impeller tip to the drum) to fill?

Aaron Z

Aaron,

I would think so. UHMW is fairly stout stuff. That guy that's selling the rubber flap kits (using fabric reinforced belt material I think) gets good results from the reviews. Course there the performance gain is just from sealing the gaps between the impeller tips and housing. The UHMW we are using does that, but also reduces friction and cuts down on blockages for even better performance. Heck, lining the chute alone gained about 20 to 25 feet more throw from my estimation.

You could always add a steel backing plate to decrease the unsupported area, but I seriously don't think you'll need to. For a partial blade seal (not covering all or most of the blade surface), I don't think you'd want it too thick in any case, as without a steel reinforcing strip you wouldn't mount it on the back side of the blade. So on the front of the blade the snow still want's to slide past the plastic tip. In fact, a bevel on the inboard edge might not be a bad idea if not covering the whole surface of the paddle. With a 3/4 gap, which is pretty wide, it will be important to attach the UHMW well, either with fender washers, with a reinforcement strip instead of washers, or closer to the impeller center so the unsupported part of the UHMW doesn't tend to lever out the fasteners or tear the plastic at the fasteners - as might happen, as an example, if you used self tapping sheet metal screws with no washers.

Where did you find the narrow strips for sale? Much easier to handle than the full sheet I bought!

/ B2782 Snow Blower modifying #28  
I would think so. UHMW is fairly stout stuff. That guy that's selling the rubber flap kits (using fabric reinforced belt material I think) gets good results from the reviews. Course there the performance gain is just from sealing the gaps between the impeller tips and housing. The UHMW we are using does that, but also reduces friction and cuts down on blockages for even better performance. Heck, lining the chute alone gained about 20 to 25 feet more throw from my estimation.
Makes sense. I will be using scraps from the chute pieces, so not risking much.
You could always add a steel backing plate to decrease the unsupported area, but I seriously don't think you'll need to. For a partial blade seal (not covering all or most of the blade surface), I don't think you'd want it too thick in any case, as without a steel reinforcing strip you wouldn't mount it on the back side of the blade. So on the front of the blade the snow still want's to slide past the plastic tip. In fact, a bevel on the inboard edge might not be a bad idea if not covering the whole surface of the paddle. With a 3/4 gap, which is pretty wide, it will be important to attach the UHMW well, either with fender washers, with a reinforcement strip instead of washers, or closer to the impeller center so the unsupported part of the UHMW doesn't tend to lever out the fasteners or tear the plastic at the fasteners - as might happen, as an example, if you used self tapping sheet metal screws with no washers.
I am thinking of covering the whole impeller blade and attaching it with large headed pop rivets (might use fender washers too). That will help the snow slide right off.

Where did you find the narrow strips for sale? Much easier to handle than the full sheet I bought!
Found it on eBay. I can post the link when I get home. He has 8"x48" pieces listed and said that he also has 100" pieces available. $3 more for twice as much seemed like a good deal.

Aaron Z

Ordered 5 8"x100" strips of 1/8" virgin UHMW for about $60 shipped.

Aaron Z

There's a misunderstanding or goof (could be on my part??). Thought you were talking about 100" long but the eBay link was for 48".

48 is fine for the chute as none of the dimensions are long, though if you want a wrap around one piece for the lower part of the chute on a B2782, 8" isn't gonna be wide enough.

I did consider trying to make do with shorter pieces, if for no other reason than I already had them in stock. UHMW *is* a thermoplastic, and it should oughta heat weld . . . but in practice this is not so easy to do and get acceptable strength - especially on a butt weld. That's why I went with a full 96 X 48 sheet to get the 64" length needed for the impeller housing one piece liner (I'll have replacement pieces for my lifetime :c)

Now I patiently await the snow for proof of concept testing, marketing and IPO - - I'm gonna be rich!