Leaking loader control valve

/ Leaking loader control valve #1  

Wheeldog

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410HSD
I've had my B2410 a couple of weeks now and am very pleased with the tractor and the loader. The only problem I've had is with a small fluid leak that has shown up since the first time it was parked. It's just a small amount (maybe 2" diameter), and I have been giving it time to see if it somehow would correct itself on its own, but I've used the loader four times now and each time after I park it I get the leak.

I'm pretty sure the fluid is coming from one or more of the four connections on the loader control valve. The fluid runs from there then drips down onto the loader frame. I dried the fittings and loader frame off once, and the fluid has now re-appeared. I haven't disconnected any of the quick-release fittings yet, but I'm wondering if these can be prone to leaking. Or, is it possible the nut that connects the fitting to the control valve body needs to be snugged down? (Sorry if my terminology is wrong here - I'm pretty new to the hydraulics world).

I definitely will talk with my salesman about this, but I'd like to know if there is something simple I should try first. I'd appreciate any comments or help.

- Rob

/ Leaking loader control valve #2  
Rob, the leak is not normal and I'd want to get it fixed. The problem is that there are several different types of fittings and I'm not sure which ones you have. Oddly enough, most hydraulic fittings don't have to be torqued very tight at all. However, there are some that are simply screwed in good and snug, some that swivel, some that you screw the fitting into the valve body with your fingers, then tighten a nut at the bottom to seat a rubber o-ring. If you know which is which and can determine exactly which one is leaking, it should be easy to fix. Of course, there is also the possibility that you have a defective quick coupler, too, that needs to be replaced.

Bird

/ Leaking loader control valve
Thanks, Bird. The type of fitting on my quick coupler has a hex nut that threads onto the port. I will check these to see if they are loose at all - I looked for torque requirements in the loader manual but they only have torques for the loader attaching hardware.

/ Leaking loader control valve #4  
Rob, I have a shop manual and if I knew which fitting is leaking, I could give you the torque values, but for the Adapter (NPT), a 3/8" is 28 to 32 ft/lbs. and a 1/2" is 36 to 43 ft/lbs. Hose fitting and flare nut, 9/16" is 16 to 19, 3/4" is 26 to 30, 7/8" is 48 to 52, and 1/4" is 22 to 26. One mechanic told me to tighten them as snug as you can by hand, then no more than an additional quarter turn.

Bird

/ Leaking loader control valve #5  
I have a 2710 with 20 hours on it, and I just went thru the same thing. I suspected the coupling but dried it off and found that the male Post that the coupling goes on was leaking where it screwed onto the base adapter that threads onto the valve body. I took off the male stub and wrapped with Teflon tape and screwed it back on. All is well now and I have been plowing like a madman.. Hope this helps.

/ Leaking loader control valve #6  
I was reading this post and thought of something someone told me awhile ago or even maybe it was here in TBN. When using teflon you should use the paste form and not the tape because the paste can pass through easier and get picked off by the filter and the tape actually can get caught up in your valves and passages. If this is a false statement then disregard..ha,ha. no really please correct me if I'm wrong here. Just passing through.

Darin

/ Leaking loader control valve #7  
Jasonf:
Be very careful using Teflon tape on hydraulic systems. One tiny piece of tape can destroy a pump, cylinder or other component in the system./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Always use joint compound paste with Teflon when you can./w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Leaking loader control valve #8  
Just give a try tightening. These are dealer assembled items--I had 2 leaking andd just snugged them up, no problems since.

/ Leaking loader control valve #9  
jasonf,
I seen it before when people use teflon tape on hydraulic,for they start wrapping the tape be on the end of the fitting.
One should try and start a thread or two back from the end so if a piece of teflon should get cut free it won't in up in the hydraulic system..could be a nightmare if it happens.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Leaking loader control valve #10  
You guys are correct, I should have stated that when using Teflon tape one should start it a few threads before the end, so that the tape does not wind up in the system. Thanks for the correction.