BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #1  

ehenry

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22 that was left to me by a dear friend. B7300 w/MMM
In looking at both plates on their respective sites, I'm not sure which to go with. Bro-Tek requires two separate plates to get full coverage but has an access door for Mid PTO which I'll probably never use. Living in central Mississippi there will be no need for a snow machine attachment and I dont have a MMM for this tractor.

BXpanded is one single plate with no access door for mid pto and is about $130 less for what appears to be full coverage and one plate covers the entire vulnerable area.

Anybody have any hands on experience with both of these and can help me decide which to go with?

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #2  
I've only had experience with the Bro-tek product. Just posting to let you know that there are actually 3 plates available. I use all three - after learning the hard way.

[edit] Found a pic I took. Not promoting Bro-tek over BXpanded but I've been happy with these.

Z.

BxSkidRad.jpg

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates
Thanks, Zoltan. I'm still pondering which one to go with. Bro-tek bolts in and it looks like the BXpanded hooks in to the MMM lift arms at the rear and over the mmm lift arm pivot at the front. I'm wondering if the BXpanded plate rattles and makes lots of noise while working the tractor when raised and locked in place.

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #4  
I imagine that the BXp plate is _much_ easier to remove. I consider the Bro-tek plates to be "permanent". Here's a different look at the front plate. Also in the pic is a guard I made for the front u-joint and pinion shaft seal. The stock guard has a big slot in the bottom that exposes the u-joint.

My story is a little different than most. I didn't lose the HST fan. Tall grass wrapped the drive shaft and ripped out the exposed wiring. Also ruined the rad fan. Got that fixed and the next time out grass wrapped the front pinion shaft and took out the seal. Glad I'm the only one who's done that...

Z.

FrontPlate.JPG

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #5  
I've got the Bro-Tek on my BX23 and the BXpanded on my BX2660. The BXpanded is my favorite by far. It's a single plate and takes 10 minutes (or less) to install the first time. I haven't removed it since the initial install, but it couldn't possible take 5 minutes to remove and reinstall. It's easy, cheap and effective.

PoopDeck, does the Bxpanded rattle and make lots of racket while running the tractor? Does it lift up tight?

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #7  
I've got the BXpanded shield on my BX25D. No rattle or clank that I can hear over the engine noise. Easy on - easy off. There is a hydraulic fluid filter mounted in that space so it is necessary to get up in there once in a while. Also nice to be able to clean and check things periodically. You really don't even have to remove the shield for some tasks, you can lower the rear of the shield quite a bit with the mower deck control. It lifts up real tight.

Rusty, you just sealed the deal. I believe the BXpanded will be the way I go. Ease of removal and price. If there is some rattle or anything, I can dampen it with something....pieces of split hose or something.

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #9  
ehenry: No rattles or racket on my BXpanded skid plate. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

/ BXpanded vs Bro-Tek Skid Plates #10  
I popped in here also as I need to do one or the other. I put on 300-500 hrs/year so have to access the area often. ease of doing that is important so the Bro-tek looks easier to do maintenance. How says you all.

Ron