Well I hauled her!!

/ Well I hauled her!! #1  

hillslider

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 JD X750 and X350
Woke up this morning and loaded up my L3130HST and headed out. I hauled the tractor 35 miles to our church and spent the day leveling the ground around the building. I got a lot of seat time in today!!! Everything went smooth and made it back home. But let me tell you that little Kubota is heavier than I thought. I have 308lbs up front....loaded rears....and then a heavy duty 6' box blade let me know I was really pulling some weight. My truck is a 97 F250 with the 460 and pulling some of the West Virgina hills made her work. On the freeway I could go 70.......but I decided since I do not do this every day I kept her at 60mph. Fun.....but it was work. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 390699-P1010265.jpg
    390699-P1010265.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 666
   / Well I hauled her!! #2  
Looks like the tractor sat well with the trailer, and the whole sat well behind your truck.

One word of warning on those straps... You put them over the scraper. I found too many sharpish edges doing that, and chaffed the sraps real bad. I stick with straps on the Farmall to protect the paint(it has more rounded edges), and use chain for the Kubota.

Not sure how it works state to state, but at least in California, speed limit while towing a trailer is 55mph.

I'll bet the folks at the Church really like having you over /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I did some work at my sons school yesterday; they were glad they didn't have to do all the work with shovels /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Well I hauled her!! #3  
Interesting that you say the F250 had to work on those hills.

I live in a fairly hilly area as well. I have the same tractor only with the Loader and Backhoe. A trailer and a pickup to pull it are on my list (although a few years away). I had been thinking about an F250 or F350. I guess I definitely don't want to consider anything smaller!

did you get any shift or shimmy? Those look like some hefty straps, but a flatbed trailer would scare the hell out of me.. all that weight.. the hills and all.

/ Well I hauled her!! #4  
On the straps, I should have mentioned what Junkman said; you could put a jacket around the straps where rub points are. The local fire station is a good place for that. When they have bad hose, often they cut it up. A few short lengths of hose would be good for protecting the sharp areas.

/ Well I hauled her!! #5  
Since you do not have a truck/trailer yet, try starting with a list of your "stuff". Add up the weights, and it will give you a better idea of what to look for in a truck/trailer. It may surprise you how much you will hall. My B8200 is small, but even it adds up. For instance:
1590 B8200 CUT
600 loader
365 rotary mower
250 scraper
200 PHD
50 extra fuel
50 tools, shovels ect
20 ice chest, soda, lunch

So my little B8200HST-4wd is at 3125lbs when I tow, with a couple implements included for various chores. That is not much, but it all adds up. And, on a bigger tractor it adds up faster...

I have a 16' 7000lb trailer. It weighs 1200lb, so I have a 5800lb load capability. I'm well withing that range. My Dodge 2500CTD can pull over 10klbs, so I'm well within that range.

It gives you an idea of what you might want to spec in an equipment trailer, and a truck.

My flatbed trailer pulls fine in the foothills and mountians around here, even when loaded to near max.

/ Well I hauled her!!
The tractor rode great behind the truck. I humped it over some pretty rough spots and the tractor never moved. One area on the freeway made me pucker a little.....there is a spot with about ten little dips all in a row. The truck and trailer were really bouncing around but I just held tight and everything stayed where it was supposed to. I was also concerned about the straps rubbing on the box blade. I took some old rags and layed them down first....worked well...the straps look perfect. The trailer did well with the weight. Tractor 3305,front weights 385, loaded tires 640, box blade according to owner 550.....total 4880lbs.

/ Well I hauled her!! #7  
When you haul a 4 wheel drive tractor put it 4 wheel drive after loading on the trailer. When you do this and set the parking brake it locks all 4 wheels.