New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze?

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #1  

ChemE

Tractor
L2501-HST/4wd/Loader
Hi everyone, I bought a new L2501 and they delivered it Friday. I have been getting drips on the garage floor of antifreeze. This is maybe two drips Friday, one Saturday and one Sunday. I wipe up the floor and underside of tractor after I see them. Upon inspection Sunday I notice it is coming from between the frame and engine block. I think it may be from when they installed the engine block heater on Friday? Everything is dry above the frame, but the engine block makes natural pockets above the frame (there is rust at the bottom of the frame and engine block, like water has done the same thing before). Delivered with .9 hrs, now has 1.2 hrs.

Does anyone know if there is any gasket for coolant between the cast engine block and steel metal frame. I highly doubt it, but just wanted to check?

I'm really excited about the new tractor, but won't be able to give it a full work out with the brush hog till after thanksgiving.

L2501 HST w/ R4 tires, loader, box blade, WR tooth bar, block heater for $18,163. I think it was a good deal?

Thanks,

ChemE

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #2  
Bummer. That new and an annoying leak. If a bolt passes through the water jacket then there would be either a gasket or other sealer. I would get the dealer out there to look at it and determine the source.

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #3  
Check all your hose clamps where it's coming from can be very deceiving.

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze?
Spoke with the mechanic and he said they drained the coolant and once they pull the freeze plug, more coolant still comes out. He said it should be residual from engine block heater install and should go away. There are no bolts that extend into the engine coolant pathways and no gasket needed because of this. He confirmed I checked for no leaking from block heater or hose as that was the first thing I did.

I know I need to post some pictures of the new machine!

Thanks for the responses, I will keep you updated on the outcome.

ChemE

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #5  
Good news. Hope that is the source.

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #6  
Congrats on the new tractor. I purchased an L2501 last April for my Bday. I've used it a bunch this summer/fall for bush hogging/trail clearing. Worked it very hard and no problems so far. I'm quite impressed with this smallest of the "L" series. :thumbsup: Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze?
Hey gwstang, how many hours do you have on your L2501? This has 1.6 hrs. and the front axle is leaking were it bolts to the outer end unit (4 bolts). It looks like someone tried to tighten them up (paints chipped off all 4 bolts). And its leaking under the deck at the loader valve (? the hydraulic block right next to the filter). That one is the easiest problem, I'm sure it just needs to be snugged. Also its still dripping antifreeze, not a lot, just a couple drips a day. I'm loosing confidence in this tractor. Dealer opens in 2 hrs., by chance when they dropped the tractor off they had the contract wrong, and I never signed it, supposed to go in today to sign all the paperwork.

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #8  
I wouldn't be signing anything until I had a non-leaking tractor in my garage.

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #9  
First, it sounds like you got a great deal on the machine and attachments. I priced one out just recently and was told much more for less stuff. But I live in New England.

Second, I hope your dealer can fix these leaks up quickly. Pretty rare to hear of problems with Kubotas. Best of luck!

/ New L2501 - Leaking antifreeze? #10  
I would try blowing out the area with air to remove any remaining antifreeze... I remember someone else had that problem, too.