Block Heater on a BX 24

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #1  

whatever1

Silver Member
When it gets cold enough to use the block heater is there any harm to leaving it plugged in all the time or should I just plug it in just before I am going to start the tractor.

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #2  
You'll burn the element out quick if you leave it on, not to mention use a lot of electricity unnecessarily. 15 or 20 minutes on a cold day and my engine is toasty warm.

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #3  
A timer is a good thing to use with a block heater. I told my kid to unplug the block heater one day and he wandered off towards the shed. I looked 10 days later and the block heater was still plugged in running up my power bill 24/7.
darn fool kid just could not understand why I was upset.

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #4  
I use a heavy duty timer. Actually bought the 2 pack last year, 1 for truck and 1 for BX. Worked great. The pins kind of sucked, pretty much set and leave alone. Used 2 different times for the BX, before and after work.

Amazon.com: Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Heavy Duty Grounded Timer - 2-Pack: Home Improvement

I think the heater is 400 watts. I dont know about being toasty warm in 15 minutes but I'll time it for 1 hour before using it.

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #5  
A timer is a good thing to use with a block heater. I told my kid to unplug the block heater one day and he wandered off towards the shed. I looked 10 days later and the block heater was still plugged in running up my power bill 24/7.
darn fool kid just could not understand why I was upset.
I've got remote switches for both of my block heaters. The original GE switches quit working so I just bought 2 more from Home Hardware up here. They are made by woods.
I go to the kitchen window and click on the switch and the block heater comes on. I have a short string of LED christmas lights T'ed off of the line going to the heaters so I know for sure they are on. Lights are on....heaters are on.
Home Hardware - Remote Contol for Outdoor Lights and Decorations

Last edited:
   / Block Heater on a BX 24 #6  
I should have noted that 15-20 minutes was what it takes for my block heater to get the engine warm, but it will depend on your tractor and the weather. I have a small 18 HP engine and live in KY where really cold temps are rare. If you have a larger tractor and live in a place with more extreme weather you'll, of course, need more time.

I'd recommend trial and error to find the correct amount of time needed.

Jeff

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #7  
If a storm is expected or I know that I will be using the tractor the next day i plug mine in the night before. The small amount of electricty used won't even be noticed on my electric bill and I know it is warm and ready to go.

/ Block Heater on a BX 24 #8  
I plan to get a wemo outlet. I can then turn it on before I leave work, if needed.
Granted, requires some technical expertise, but mostly just needs wifi.